Average Age on PF: What's the Answer?

• Thread starter Char. Limit
  • Start date
In summary, the average age on PF is 20, but there are a lot of people older than that and a lot of people younger than that.

How old are you?

• Total voters
jhae2.718 said:
It's probably not necessary, though; it's not like we're trying to get our results into a journal or anything...

Says you. I like my distributions to be as accurate as possible, thank you very much.

I just want to ask any mentor who sees this, would you ban me for creating 8 different polls, one for each age group, at once?

Physics news on Phys.org
PF needs a journal...

You know, what does it say about us that we're spending Saturday evening doing analysis over a poll on an internet forum? :biggrin:

Char. Limit said:
I like my distributions to be as accurate as possible, thank you very much.
Seconded. I like to be accurate with a lot of things.

Allright, here are the results:

Arithmetic mean: 34.03
Geometric mean: 29.31
Harmonic mean: 25.45
Modus: 21
Median: 30

Variance: 278.91
Standard Deviation: 16.7

Kurtosis: -0.55
Skewness: 0.54

Enjoy!

How are you assuming ages are distributed within the discrete groupings?

jhae2.718 said:
How are you assuming ages are distributed within the discrete groupings?

I think it's standard to take the midpoints of ranges. I should reread in my stat book on how to deal with this situation...

I really want a PF journal! Imagine the breakthroughs we could publish :tongue:

micromass said:
I really want a PF journal! Imagine the breakthroughs we could publish :tongue:

Why 1 != 0.999...
Division by zero: a new indeterminate form and valid arithmetic operation in R

Poll 2, for 35-54:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=484647 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
jhae2.718 said:
Why 1 != 0.999...
Division by zero: a new indeterminate form and valid arithmetic operation in R

Don't forget "Irrational numbers don't exist" and the various (dis)proofs for FLT and Riemann Hypothesis...
And maybe a humor section with most funny insults like "smug and condescending cheapo"...

Aaaaand Poll 3, for 55 and up!

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=484649 [Broken]

Now to wait a bit for results to come in.

I actually want multivariate polls where you can see the correlation between age, gender, scientific interest, music taste, political preference and general happiness...

But I doubt PF will let me do that :cry:

Char. Limit said:
I made a crude graph of the bimodal distribution we have here. I checked, and the integral over R of this function IS 1, so it's a proper pdf. And I think it's pretty interesting.

wolframalpha-20110326190842211.gif

Nice job Char,

I have a reasonable explanation for the drop in membership or the lack of reporting for the mid 30 somethings to the mid 40 somethings, I know because I have been there and have the T-Shirt to prove it. People in this range are:

A: busy with building their careers and/or
B: raising a family which requires attention not conducive to being a good PF contributor
C: more free time = more PF time at a young age and once children are raised and out of the house

Rhody... :wink:

micromass said:
And maybe a humor section with most funny insults like "smug and condescending cheapo"...
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=475840 [Broken]
It got locked right away. :rofl:

So, who should be on the editorial board of the PF journal?

jhae2.718 said:
So, who should be on the editorial board of the PF journal?

I should.

Char. Limit said:
I should.

I'm glad that you would put your name under articles like 1!=0.999... and "irrational numbers don't exist" :biggrin:

micromass said:
I'm glad that you would put your name under articles like 1!=0.999... and "irrational numbers don't exist" :biggrin:

Well, they obviously don't. If they existed, then we could rationally calculate them and estimate them. But we can't, because they're irrational. Therefore, all numbers are rational.

It would be funny if there was a Journal of Crackpottery.

jhae2.718 said:
It would be funny if there was a Journal of Crackpottery.

There's always

http://www.crank.net/

Math Is Hard said:
There's always

http://www.crank.net/

I'd forgotten about that, thanks!

Edit: crank.net has PF listed as "A resource where you can discuss cranks or crankism.": :yuck:

Last edited:
jhae2.718 said:
I'd forgotten about that, thanks!

Edit: crank.net has PF listed as "A resource where you can discuss cranks or crankism.": :yuck:

Nobody accused them of being especially bright.

FtlIsAwesome said:
What if the cat is curious but isn't satisfied?

What if the cat merely 'thinks' it's a cat, but is in fact, a cat it is not...?

Steppn said:
Too much introspection for a cat. It will easily pass its "curiosity kills" threshold at that level. Cats are dull and unintelligent because all the smart ones have been weeded out.

turbo-1 said:
Too much introspection for a cat. It will easily pass its "curiosity kills" threshold at that level. Cats are dull and unintelligent because all the smart ones have been weeded out.

Ahhh, 'catural selection'.

Steppn said:

The universe implodes in a clap of contradiction and pique.

nismaratwork said:
The universe implodes in a clap of contradiction and pique.

I wonder if that makes Verschränkung obsolete?

Steppn said:
I wonder if that makes Verschränkung obsolete?

Yeah, we'd go from Geselshaft to uber Gemeinschaft (squish) pretty quickly given a universal implosion. :tongue:

<h2>1. What is the average age on PF?</h2><p>The average age on PF (Personal Finance) is constantly changing as new users join and others leave the platform. As of 2021, the average age on PF is estimated to be between 25-34 years old.</p><h2>2. How is the average age on PF calculated?</h2><p>The average age on PF is calculated by taking the sum of all users' ages and dividing it by the total number of users on the platform. This provides a general estimate of the average age on PF.</p><h2>3. Is the average age on PF representative of the population?</h2><p>No, the average age on PF is not representative of the entire population. It only reflects the age range of users who are active on the platform.</p><h2>4. Does the average age on PF vary by country?</h2><p>Yes, the average age on PF may vary by country as different demographics and cultures may have different levels of participation on the platform.</p><h2>5. How does the average age on PF compare to other social media platforms?</h2><p>The average age on PF is generally younger compared to other social media platforms. This is because PF is primarily focused on personal finance, which may be more relevant to younger individuals who are just starting their financial journeys.</p>

1. What is the average age on PF?

The average age on PF (Personal Finance) is constantly changing as new users join and others leave the platform. As of 2021, the average age on PF is estimated to be between 25-34 years old.

2. How is the average age on PF calculated?

The average age on PF is calculated by taking the sum of all users' ages and dividing it by the total number of users on the platform. This provides a general estimate of the average age on PF.

3. Is the average age on PF representative of the population?

No, the average age on PF is not representative of the entire population. It only reflects the age range of users who are active on the platform.

4. Does the average age on PF vary by country?

Yes, the average age on PF may vary by country as different demographics and cultures may have different levels of participation on the platform.

5. How does the average age on PF compare to other social media platforms?

The average age on PF is generally younger compared to other social media platforms. This is because PF is primarily focused on personal finance, which may be more relevant to younger individuals who are just starting their financial journeys.