How old are you?

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date

Nicool003

Thank you, kyleb. I have spent my entire life (seriously, this was one of my first conscious thoughts) trying to prove that the fact that someone was older didn't make them smarter. I have also learned that it doesn't make them wiser (no matter what anyone says), because wisdom = applied knowledge; so age doesn't bring wisdom, it just brings more chances to develop wisdom.
Doesn't every teenager want to prove that age doesn't matter? It would be quite easy to prove... if anyone would listen to us"kids" long enough to see our point! There is that old saying wisdom comes with age. And I think that is partly true. But there is a different between knowledge and wisdom and no one ever said we don't have more knowledge bwahahaha

Anyways I agree with you too if you notice I said i PARTLY believe that saying just because wisdom can also be things you have experienced in your life and since they have lived longer... you know

at least we have members here appreciating their youth
Whats there to appreciate? Childhood is a totalitarian regime, all we ever do is get ordered around by "wise" adults.

I'd like to correct the adage "Wisdom comes with age", instead it should be "Ego comes with age".

22. that's as old as i need to be. it's all down hill from here :wink:

31 and smack in the middle of the midlife panic.

24 and not particularly bothered by it. Life is far too short to be worried about how old you are - it's better to just live I think. Besides hopefully nano-tech and advanced genetic engineering will come along soon and help us all out :)

Originally posted by Bubonic Plague, and Mentat

15 and hating it. I just can't wait to grow old and tell adults to "Shut the **** up" without being told that i'm a little kid and should be respectful or being asked what my school is so they can complain about my obvious distaste for their "helpful advices on my moral code, etc".

I agree (except for the part about telling them to "shut the **** up"). As I see it, a wise person would realize that age doesn't bring wisdom, but there are so few wise people.
Is it possible that what you are really missing is that you actually are intimidating to some adults? And that these kinds of reactions from them, are, simply put, their intellectual self-defence mechanisms? That they scurry back into their own safe intellectual environment by plying the ¡°time dependencies of learning¡± against you, just so they can hold onto their own sense of intellectual self worth, in your presence?

Is that, possibly, the answer you need to see/know?

Originally posted by RageSk8
Another prime example, of how older people do not have a monopoly on wisdom.

Originally posted by MajinVegeta
Am I the youngest one here again!!?? Cool!

I'm still 13...I'll be 14 in a "few months" (7 months to go)
And few older ones have such an inquisitive mind, Majin.

This is an important point as well. You see, I said that age affords one more opportunities to learn; however, while this is still true, there some younger people (like MajinVegeta) who have such a zeal for learning, that they can easily make up for their lack of "experience".

Originally posted by Nicool003
Doesn't every teenager want to prove that age doesn't matter? It would be quite easy to prove... if anyone would listen to us"kids" long enough to see our point! There is that old saying wisdom comes with age. And I think that is partly true. But there is a different between knowledge and wisdom and no one ever said we don't have more knowledge bwahahaha

Anyways I agree with you too if you notice I said i PARTLY believe that saying just because wisdom can also be things you have experienced in your life and since they have lived longer... you know
So how old are you, Nicool?

Another God

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Originally posted by Mentat
And few older ones have such an inquisitive mind, Majin.

This is an important point as well. You see, I said that age affords one more opportunities to learn; however, while this is still true, there some younger people (like MajinVegeta) who have such a zeal for learning, that they can easily make up for their lack of "experience".
I have always been curious, but this zeal for learning has only really been a recent thing for me. I wish I did this sort of stuff (Reading as much as I can, PF, things like that) when I was 13, 14 etc. If i had started back then, then Jeeze...what would I know now.

Majin, Mentat...I gotta stay in contact with you two =) As you get older, you will find that you are leaps ahead of everyone else when you get to uni. Not necessarily top marks getters (though probably), but simply knowledgeable. You will be able to think for yourselves, you will have insights, and novel ideas.... It'd be great to start out at uni like that. I've learnt it in my time here, and am only just this year really able to apply it...

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Originally posted by Bubonic Plague
Whats there to appreciate? Childhood is a totalitarian regime, all we ever do is get ordered around by "wise" adults.

I'd like to correct the adage "Wisdom comes with age", instead it should be "Ego comes with age".
i think you have quite an ego for whatever age you are for claiming that those who get older get a bigger ego...i suspect you are still a child yourself for believing this about childhood and adulthood, if you are an adult stating this, then i suspect you to be just plain ignorant...

i think you have quite an ego for whatever age you are for claiming that those who get older get a bigger ego
I apologize for collateral damage and if i had been too harsh and crude with my words. Sorry.

i suspect you are still a child yourself for believing this about childhood and adulthood
Pherhaps you went through a different childhood from mine, so you disagree with my views, but ultimately this is what i think childhood is, relative to my experiences. My views will no doubt change with time. But these are the views i currently hold.

I'm 33, and unlike many of you, I hope to get much older. I think it beats the only other alternative.

-----

I really wish all the little kiddies (under 25) would show some respect. They really must try to be good little kids; it's their duty. I mean, really, what do they want, us to earn their respect? I didn't make all those mistakes for my own benefit, I made them so that I could tell you what to do and what not to do! Really!
April fool...

Originally posted by Another God
I have always been curious, but this zeal for learning has only really been a recent thing for me. I wish I did this sort of stuff (Reading as much as I can, PF, things like that) when I was 13, 14 etc. If i had started back then, then Jeeze...what would I know now.

Majin, Mentat...I gotta stay in contact with you two =) As you get older, you will find that you are leaps ahead of everyone else when you get to uni. Not necessarily top marks getters (though probably), but simply knowledgeable. You will be able to think for yourselves, you will have insights, and novel ideas.... It'd be great to start out at uni like that. I've learnt it in my time here, and am only just this year really able to apply it...
I thank you. I'm not sure that I'm going to college/uni., but if you think I'd do well (having actually been there, yourself) I might consider it.

Alias

Mentat, do what ever you must to get through college. I never finished. While I have about 150 credit hours in varying disciplines, I've still have no degree.

Of course, if you want to skip that whole college thing, you can come live with me in the trailer park.

Let see, go to college, get a well paying job, live in a nice house, or live with Alias in the trailer park. Hmmmm. Tough decision.:wink:

I'm 14, and its kind anoying. Too many mood swings.

I have to agree with J Man..I too am 33(I couln't remember! Man that is bad!) and I am enjoying every second of it! I can't wait to see what life is going to be like in 5 years!!!!! It will be awesome I'm sure!!!

MacTech

On many forums i am 15 :) like this one, in my user profile, but really i am 19, tho my birthday is not march 18 either :)

I'm 20.

I can remember my younger days when I considered most adults rather lacking in the area of common sense, just by observing their actions in certain situations.

Now that I'm older, I still think the same thing. However, I've come to a realization that such people DO deserve respect...until they prove to me otherwise. Kinda like benefit of the doubt.

The older a person is has little to do with their knowledge or lack thereof. But the highly touted "wisdom" is a tangible, real thing, and the only way to gain in wisdom is to live life and learn from experience. Knowledge can be gained in my ways and at varying speeds. But wisdom comes almost exclusively from life experience.

My two cents ;)

Considering

Paradox

I'm physically 19. Mentally, I'd say around 5.

Originally posted by MacTech
On many forums i am 15 :) like this one, in my user profile, but really i am 19, tho my birthday is not march 18 either :)
So, why don't you register as your actual age?

19 years 133 days + some unassorted seconds...

iansmith

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Originally posted by Considering
I'm 20.

I can remember my younger days when I considered most adults rather lacking in the area of common sense, just by observing their actions in certain situations.

Now that I'm older, I still think the same thing. However, I've come to a realization that such people DO deserve respect...until they prove to me otherwise. Kinda like benefit of the doubt.

The older a person is has little to do with their knowledge or lack thereof. But the highly touted "wisdom" is a tangible, real thing, and the only way to gain in wisdom is to live life and learn from experience. Knowledge can be gained in my ways and at varying speeds. But wisdom comes almost exclusively from life experience.

My two cents ;)

Considering
I agree with that. I felt the same way when I was a teenager. Now I'm 23 and life experience has bring me more wisdom.

I am 21.

It's great to see so many young highly intelligent people on at these forums.

At 33 (well on April 8th) I would hope that I have gained some wisdom. I thought I was wise at 15. That's why I left school and went to work. That's why I never did any homework and didn't absorb any of the Mathematics that teachers tried to teach. I knew what was important. Now I'm not so sure what's important. I know I have regrets about decisions I made but as the saying goes, the more you know, the more you don't know. I'm a youth worker by trade and if I was going to be completely honest, a damn fine one. Why, because I know I don't know everything. Others in my field 'know' they have wisdom. I hope when I talk to younger people and use examples about my own experiences, or give advice, that they can take something from it. Regardless of what you think now, you will feel the same way. You may have ideas about how your future will unfold and the person that you will be, but life doesn't work like that. Relationships will be made and broken, you will hurt people and they will hurt you. You will make mistakes that haunt you when you go to sleep and you will have restless nights, abuzz with the pleasures that the day brought you. You will plan how you raise your children then, when it happens, throw all the ideas out the window. You will have emotions that you think will never end and later they will seem like a fleeting moment. Don't close yourself off to the idea that you are not different and possibly more wise with every passing day. I wouldn't wish that for you. When I see a 13 year old and a 40 year old who are emotional peers I don't see a 13 year old with the wisdom of a 40 year old, I see a 40 year old with the wisdom of a 13 year old. You could read 10 text books a day for ten years and you couldn't learn about yourself what you could learn by living for one.

There are many here that at a very early age, showing great intelligence. Far more than I can say I have. Intelligence is applied book learning. Wisdom is applied life learning. There are no shortcuts to either. I've still got a ways to go with both.

Raavin