How Old are You? - Revisiting an Old PFs Thread

• Thread starter Mentat
  • Start date
In summary: Originally posted by Bubonic Plague Nah, hopefully I'm a bit wiser now than I was years agoI agree, Bubonic Plague. I'm glad that I'm able to learn and grow even as I get older.
Mentat
This was a thread in the old PFs, and I'd like to bring it back. So, everyone, how old are you?

Physics news on Phys.org
Old enough to know better!

Originally posted by Tom

Yeah, you turned on Christmas day didn't you?

'Fraid that's classified.

I am 14, by the way.

a fresh new 15 ahh smell that new age scent

15 and hating it. I just can't wait to grow old and tell adults to "Shut the **** up" without being told that I'm a little kid and should be respectful or being asked what my school is so they can complain about my obvious distaste for their "helpful advices on my moral code, etc".

lovely 22

and wow mentat, i would have guessed you at least 5 years older than you are. just goes to show how little age has to do with anything.

A quarter century old.

You can also check birthdays and ages of those members who listed them by going to the 'Calendar' up at the top of the screen.

Isn't PF3.0 great?!?

30, a great age

23, about as old as I want to get.

Just turned 70 ... And willing to get older

33 in a couple of weeks

Nah, hopefully I'm a bit wiser now than I was years ago

Raavin :wink:

27. And yeah, damgo, 23 is as old as I wanted to get too. Its not working out real well for me...

Originally posted by kyleb

and wow mentat, i would have guessed you at least 5 years older than you are. just goes to show how little age has to do with anything.

Thank you, kyleb. I have spent my entire life (seriously, this was one of my first conscious thoughts) trying to prove that the fact that someone was older didn't make them smarter. I have also learned that it doesn't make them wiser (no matter what anyone says), because wisdom = applied knowledge; so age doesn't bring wisdom, it just brings more chances to develop wisdom.

Originally posted by Bubonic Plague
15 and hating it. I just can't wait to grow old and tell adults to "Shut the **** up" without being told that I'm a little kid and should be respectful or being asked what my school is so they can complain about my obvious distaste for their "helpful advices on my moral code, etc".

I agree (except for the part about telling them to "shut the **** up"). As I see it, a wise person would realize that age doesn't bring wisdom, but there are so few wise people.

I agree (except for the part about telling them to "shut the **** up"). As I see it, a wise person would realize that age doesn't bring wisdom, but there are so few wise people.

Yeah. There are those people, who just because they are above the age of 25, they think that all little kiddies like me must show 'em respect, then they start preaching all about how we must be good little kids, etc. But heck! I give respect only when the person earns it, certainly not because of his/her age.

Originally posted by Mentat
Thank you, kyleb. I have spent my entire life (seriously, this was one of my first conscious thoughts) trying to prove that the fact that someone was older didn't make them smarter. I have also learned that it doesn't make them wiser (no matter what anyone says), because wisdom = applied knowledge; so age doesn't bring wisdom, it just brings more chances to develop wisdom.

you are very right; but rest assure, there will be many people telling you otherwise until you are nearly as old as dirt. some people are just not wise like that no matter how old they are. :wink:

I just turned 32 march 10,so happy birthday to me!1

Fourty Seven years old!

Age may not bring wisdom, but it is only age that afford experiance, and it is only experience that can be the soil for the rooting of wisdom.

Experiance, and practical learning, and BOOK knowledge, are really the Fast track to education that lends itself in a direction of being capable of wisdom, in the first place, as all true wisdom is really very, very, old knowledge!

Originally posted by damgo
23, about as old as I want to get.

You're speaking my mind. 23 as of February :(

21. And this is as 'old' as I want to get too. I fear that by the time I figure out how to make my body maintain its age, I will already be too old, and so then I will need to find a way to make my body rejuvenate itself :frown:

Mentate and Bubonic, I too have spent my life marvelling at the stupidity of those old 'wise' people who have been so kind as to show me all the ways in which I will never allow myself to be.

I recall being around 15, and being frustrated at not being able to get into a pub or something like that, because I wasn't of a numerical designation that suited the law. The fact that I didn't want to drink alcohol nor smoke cigarettes, (and still don't) and the fact that I am most likely much more mature and intelligent than 90% of the people in the bar didn't mean anything.

(excuse the haughty nature of that paragraph, but its how I felt at the time, and still how i feel. I don't have much respect for people who actually go and hang out in bars drinking and smoking their lives away. I don't deny their right to do it, nor the fact that it is their own form of pleasure, while mine is something completely different, and that in its own right is OK...i still don't like it.)
(this probably has a lot to do with having grown up in a family where several family members and their friends are pretty much useless drunks 90% of the time. You grow up with that, and see if alcohol looks like a lot of fun to u.)

at least we have members here appreciating their youth:wink:

seriously, i think if continue to learn and understand, "getting older" is not much of a concern...

Am I the youngest one here again!?? Cool!

I'm still 13...I'll be 14 in a "few months" (7 months to go)

Doesn't every teenager want to prove that age doesn't matter? It would be quite easy to prove... if anyone would listen to us"kids" long enough to see our point! There is that old saying wisdom comes with age. And I think that is partly true. But there is a different between knowledge and wisdom and no one ever said we don't have more knowledge bwahahaha

Anyways I agree with you too if you notice I said i PARTLY believe that saying just because wisdom can also be things you have experienced in your life and since they have lived longer... you know

at least we have members here appreciating their youth

Whats there to appreciate? Childhood is a totalitarian regime, all we ever do is get ordered around by "wise" adults.

I'd like to correct the adage "Wisdom comes with age", instead it should be "Ego comes with age".

22. that's as old as i need to be. it's all down hill from here :wink:

31 and smack in the middle of the midlife panic.

24 and not particularly bothered by it. Life is far too short to be worried about how old you are - it's better to just live I think. Besides hopefully nano-tech and advanced genetic engineering will come along soon and help us all out :)

Originally posted by Bubonic Plague, and Mentat

Is it possible that what you are really missing is that you actually are intimidating to some adults? And that these kinds of reactions from them, are, simply put, their intellectual self-defence mechanisms? That they scurry back into their own safe intellectual environment by plying the ¡°time dependencies of learning¡± against you, just so they can hold onto their own sense of intellectual self worth, in your presence?

Is that, possibly, the answer you need to see/know?

Originally posted by RageSk8

Another prime example, of how older people do not have a monopoly on wisdom.

Originally posted by MajinVegeta
Am I the youngest one here again!?? Cool!

I'm still 13...I'll be 14 in a "few months" (7 months to go)

And few older ones have such an inquisitive mind, Majin.

This is an important point as well. You see, I said that age affords one more opportunities to learn; however, while this is still true, there some younger people (like MajinVegeta) who have such a zeal for learning, that they can easily make up for their lack of "experience".

Originally posted by Nicool003
Doesn't every teenager want to prove that age doesn't matter? It would be quite easy to prove... if anyone would listen to us"kids" long enough to see our point! There is that old saying wisdom comes with age. And I think that is partly true. But there is a different between knowledge and wisdom and no one ever said we don't have more knowledge bwahahaha

Anyways I agree with you too if you notice I said i PARTLY believe that saying just because wisdom can also be things you have experienced in your life and since they have lived longer... you know

So how old are you, Nicool?

And few older ones have such an inquisitive mind, Majin.

This is an important point as well. You see, I said that age affords one more opportunities to learn; however, while this is still true, there some younger people (like MajinVegeta) who have such a zeal for learning, that they can easily make up for their lack of "experience".
I have always been curious, but this zeal for learning has only really been a recent thing for me. I wish I did this sort of stuff (Reading as much as I can, PF, things like that) when I was 13, 14 etc. If i had started back then, then Jeeze...what would I know now.

Majin, Mentat...I got to stay in contact with you two =) As you get older, you will find that you are leaps ahead of everyone else when you get to uni. Not necessarily top marks getters (though probably), but simply knowledgeable. You will be able to think for yourselves, you will have insights, and novel ideas... It'd be great to start out at uni like that. I've learned it in my time here, and am only just this year really able to apply it...