How Old is Light? - Exploring Einstein's Theory

• B
  • Thread starter Francis Ward
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, the conversation discusses Einstein's theory of relativity and its implications for time dilation at high speeds. It also addresses the concept of light as an observer and the limitations of talking about time passing for light. The conversation also brings up the idea of relative vs absolute motion and how it relates to the concept of time.
Let'sthink said:
But you have not committed anything on my assertion that time dilation and length contraction are dependent on each other.

They aren't dependent on each other, they both are the result of the fact that light travels at the same speed for all inertial observers. I wish I could go into detail about this, but I confess I do not know the details! o_O

Let'sthink said:
But am I right if I think that all this confusion is there because the marriage between theory of relativity, which is basically classical and quantum mechanics, (which takes birth from the womb of classical mechanics, has some extraordinary non-classical postulates;) is not yet complete

Nope. Relativity is a classical (non-quantum) theory. Nothing in this thread has anything to do with quantum physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
How do you say that , Drakkith, photon is name given to the particle associated with electromagnetic waves/field hence quantum physics has to be very much in as was also hinted in Nugatory's response?

Also I do not buy that argument of introducing a parameter c (length/time) and assume that that makes the two effects independent. Rather Relativity broke the myth that time is absolute!

Let'sthink said:
But you have not committed anything on my assertion that time dilation and length contraction are dependent on each other.
It's not so much that they are dependent on one another as that they're both manifestations of the same underlying fact, namely that the speed of light is the same for all inertial observers. But yes, you need both (along with the relativity of simultaneity, which in some ways is more fundamental than the other two) to construct an internally consistent theory with a constant speed of light.

But am I right if I think that all this confusion is there because the marriage between theory of relativity, which is basically classical and quantum mechanics, (which takes birth from the womb of classical mechanics, has some extraordinary non-classical postulates;) is not yet complete
That marriage was successfully consummated about 75 years ago, with the discovery of quantum field theory. Unfortunately, QFT charges a much higher mathematical price of admission than either special relativity or non-relativistic QM; it's not generally considered an undergraduate-level topic.

Last edited:
Let'sthink said:
How do you say that , Drakkith, photon is name given to the particle associated with electromagnetic waves/field hence quantum physics has to be very much in as was also hinted in Nugatory's response?

While its true that photons are the quanta of the EM field, relativity treats light as a classical wave, not as photons. As I said before, quantum physics has nothing to do with anything in this thread. (In other words, the theory of relativity works just fine whether you treat light as a classical wave or as a quantum object)

Thank you very much Nugatory, I cannot ask a question or comment anything in a field where I am not admitted. But I am sure the total story of space time mass and energy is not yet completely written or written off!

I am (almost) completely serious when I say that the best thing you can do is to try to forget that you ever heard the word "photon" until after you have learned special relativity and are starting in on quantum mechanics. Einstein figured out special relativity without photons, and you can too.

But if you aren't going to take this advice... Take a look at the papers referenced in the first two posts of this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-a-photon.879128/

Likes vanhees71
I welcome your zeal of replying, Nugatory! When I accept your first advice, the first thread of this discussion loses its place.
I shall follow your second advice and then come back to you with my confusions!

I have read one of the articles you, Nugatory, referred to and and am able to appreciate that photon is quite different from any other particle. I am in the superposition state of clarified and confused ones and will take quite some time for wording a clear question. Thank you for all your answers! But I do not understand what is the great idea in letting the ug student treat photon as he wants and also answer his questions as per his understanding in a round about manner and ultimately let him know at pg level that photon is no particle at all. But that is just observation and not a question!

Let'sthink said:
But I do not understand what is the great idea in letting the ug student treat photon as he wants and also answer his questions as per his understanding in a round about manner and ultimately let him know at pg level that photon is no particle at all. But that is just observation and not a question!

In a perfect world every student would be taught things in the clearest manner, the best order, by the best teachers, and with the best source material. Unfortunately perfection is in a superposition of "doesn't compute" and "pipe dream".

Thank you Drakkith for your reply and for using similar diction!

Likes Drakkith
Let'sthink said:
But I do not understand what is the great idea in letting the ug student treat photon as he wants and also answer his questions as per his understanding in a round about manner and ultimately let him know at pg level that photon is no particle at all. But that is just observation and not a question!

The relevant issue here is the meaning of the word "particle". In the classical particle model, it's simply something so small that its size can be ignored when compared to all other relevant distances involved. So a traffic engineer can model a car as a particle, but an auto mechanic cannot. When calculating a home run distance a baseball can be modeled as a particle, but a major league pitcher cannot use that model when executing his pitches.

In quantum mechanics the word "particle" means an entirely different thing. A photon is just such a particle, as is an electron. If you've ever taken a chemistry class you run into the seemingly senseless warnings about not thinking of an atomic electron as you would think of a planet orbiting its sun. The planet can in that case be modeled as a classical particle, but the electron cannot.

If you read an article written by a physicist like N. David Mermin you see that he speaks of photons bouncing off mirrors and traveling the length of a train car as he derives a formula for the relativistic addition of velocities. But he is a physicist, so he can get away with it! He knows the difference between a classical particle and a quantum particle. For someone who doesn't that practice can lead to all sorts of misconceptions.

Likes Dale
When I was a ug student I used to think em waves or Planck's photon as pure energy. Classically whenever we talk of energy it is of the particles only whether with classical particles or classical waves. For waves also because in the classical domain energy of the wave is ultimately the energy of the particles of the medium. In case of light and after advent of relativity we find there is no necessity of a medium. But em waves have energy. So these waves must be particles in the guise of waves. Also these so called particles are strange they cannot be retarded and hence can never come to rest and we have to presume their rest mass as zero. For other particles the contribution to energy comes both from mass and motion but in case of photons it is all motion. The discussion on this thread has broadened my idea of photon and now I think I can think it as a purely QFT object whose energy, direction and plorization can only be conceived and position is just indeterminate or un-conceivable naturally it follows it cannot have a conceivable velocity at a given time.

Let'sthink said:
we have to presume their rest mass as zero.
"Presume"? Try following the references here.

Thank you George Dishman, I went through some references suggested by you some par in detail and others not in so much detail. It was a very fruitful and useful exercise for me.

Francis Ward said:
Light, we are told, cannot be influenced by the speed of it's source (we cannot add to the speed of light by putting the torch on the front of the train). Hence it should not be influenced either by the sideways motion of the train.
To be clear, the light will be affected - but not it's speed. Suppose we have a high speed train passing a stationary train on a side track. And we have two stationary photon detectors positioned in front of the trains - each measuring photons from one train. We look at the light from each just as it passes. Photons from each train arrive at the detectors at the same time, but the detector watching the moving train will see heavier, bluer photons.

Likes CalcNerd
<h2>1. How old is light?</h2><p>According to Einstein's theory of relativity, light has no age. It is a fundamental constant of the universe and does not experience time in the same way that we do.</p><h2>2. How did Einstein's theory change our understanding of light's age?</h2><p>Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of light by showing that it is not a static entity, but rather a dynamic force that can be influenced by gravity and the fabric of space-time.</p><h2>3. Can we measure the age of light?</h2><p>No, we cannot measure the age of light as it is a fundamental constant and does not experience time. However, we can measure the distance that light has traveled, which can give us an idea of how long it has been traveling.</p><h2>4. How does the age of light relate to the age of the universe?</h2><p>The age of light is closely tied to the age of the universe. Since light is the fastest thing in the universe, it has been traveling since the beginning of the universe. Therefore, the age of the universe is also the age of light.</p><h2>5. Is light's age the same everywhere in the universe?</h2><p>Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and the same everywhere in the universe. This means that light's age is also the same everywhere in the universe, regardless of the distance it has traveled.</p>

1. How old is light?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, light has no age. It is a fundamental constant of the universe and does not experience time in the same way that we do.

2. How did Einstein's theory change our understanding of light's age?

Einstein's theory of relativity revolutionized our understanding of light by showing that it is not a static entity, but rather a dynamic force that can be influenced by gravity and the fabric of space-time.

3. Can we measure the age of light?

No, we cannot measure the age of light as it is a fundamental constant and does not experience time. However, we can measure the distance that light has traveled, which can give us an idea of how long it has been traveling.

4. How does the age of light relate to the age of the universe?

The age of light is closely tied to the age of the universe. Since light is the fastest thing in the universe, it has been traveling since the beginning of the universe. Therefore, the age of the universe is also the age of light.

5. Is light's age the same everywhere in the universe?

Yes, according to Einstein's theory of relativity, the speed of light is constant and the same everywhere in the universe. This means that light's age is also the same everywhere in the universe, regardless of the distance it has traveled.