How Can I Solve This PreCalculus Problem Using Natural Logarithms?

• Thread starter sh86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Earth
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult problem involving natural logarithms that was found on an old precalculus test. After many attempts, the solution was eventually found by using a quadratic equation in u. The conversation also touches on the education system and the coverage of hyperbolic functions in different countries.
sh86
So I was going through some old tests of mine and found this problem in an old precalculus test from long ago. I of course did not get it right and I don't think anyone did. Here's the problem:

Use natural logarithms to solve 2 = [e^x - e^(-x)]/2 for x.

I tried every little trick I know...I have no idea how to get this. Can you believe this was asked on a test in a precalculus course (along with tons and tons of other questions)!?

I don't know if this thread belongs in the homework section or not. It seems like it but this is actually not a homework assignment.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
OMG! I'd been working on this for so long and then after I posted this message I went to wash my face and a strategy suddenly came to me... Here's what I got:

e^x - e^(-x) = 4
e^(-x) (e^2x-1) = 4
e^2x - 1 = 4e^x
e^2x - 4e^x - 1 = 0
e^x = 2 +/- sqrt(5) by the quadratic formula
x = ln(2 +/- sqrt(5))
but that doesn't work for 2 - sqrt(5) since that's less than 0 so the answer is ln(2+sqrt(5)).

I guess my subconscious is a far better problem solver than I am. (BTW if there's an error anywhere please tell me.) Sorry if this topic is now a waste of space..

EDIT: Whoops I guess you deleted your post. Uh...then forget all the stuff I wrote below heh.

Last edited:
i made a mistake, you are correct in the way you did it.

sh86 said:
Can you believe this was asked on a test in a precalculus course (along with tons and tons of other questions)!?

Yes. This was done in high school "in my day", and that was only a dozen years ago, and still might be in the UK.

Let u=e^x (therefore e^-x=1/u). You now have a quadratic equation in u. Solve for u, then x=ln(u).

I thought that looked familiar

[e^x - e^(-x)]/2 = sinh(x)

If you're ok with an approximation, you can solve for x from there.

matt grime said:
Yes. This was done in high school "in my day", and that was only a dozen years ago, and still might be in the UK.
We did it at college. This particular exam was only taught to us after we learned hyperbolic functions. The education system in Britain is just getting easier and easier.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Use natural logarithms to solve 2 = [e^x - e^(-x)]/2 for x.

Letting u=e^x (see my previous note) allows one to do the above.

The Bob said:
We did it at college. This particular exam was only taught to us after we learned hyperbolic functions. The education system in Britain is just getting easier and easier.

The Bob (2004 ©)

Interestingly, the other math majors I'm studying with seem to have covered hyperbolic functions in high school in the UK

omg obviously australia isn't up to the ranks with any other countries. I am 14 right now and finished my mathamatics and physics courses up to the end of high school, i had to learn hyperbolic functions independantly and still don't know them that good, just the basics ie eqivalent of normal trig functions cept on a hpeybola instead of unit circle...zzz...makes me so sad...

Office_Shredder said:
Interestingly, the other math majors I'm studying with seem to have covered hyperbolic functions in high school in the UK
If you have not done Further Maths, in the UK, then, where I am currently studying anyway, you have to learn about hyperbolic functions independently. The maths at school seem very hard at the time but if it was taught in a college sort of way then we would all understand it. The UK is behind with education. I can see this more clearly in Music but that is for a different sub-thread. :biggrin:

The Bob (2004 ©)

1. How do I approach a complex problem in a scientific manner?

First, break down the problem into smaller, more manageable components. Then, gather all relevant information and data related to each component. Next, analyze and interpret the data to identify patterns or relationships. Finally, develop a hypothesis or proposed solution based on your analysis and test it through experiments or simulations.

2. How do I know which method or approach to use when solving a scientific problem?

Consider the type of problem you are trying to solve and the available resources and data. Based on these factors, determine which method or approach will yield the most accurate and reliable results. It is also important to consult with other experts or conduct research to see how similar problems have been solved in the past.

3. What should I do if I encounter unexpected results or outcomes during the problem-solving process?

It is important to review your methods and data to ensure they are accurate and valid. If necessary, repeat experiments or simulations to verify your results. You should also consider consulting with other experts to get their perspective on the unexpected outcomes and to brainstorm potential explanations or solutions.

4. How do I effectively communicate my problem-solving process and results to others?

Start by organizing and presenting your findings in a clear and logical manner. Use visual aids such as graphs, charts, and diagrams to help explain complex concepts or data. Be sure to provide all relevant information and detail your methods and results. It is also important to use precise and accurate language to avoid confusion or misunderstandings.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills as a scientist?

The best way to improve your problem-solving skills is through practice and continuous learning. Engage in regular discussions and collaborations with other scientists to gain new perspectives and insights. Attend conferences or workshops, and read scientific literature to stay updated on the latest research and methods. Reflect on your problem-solving process and identify areas for improvement.