The Physics Behind Optical Mouse Technology

In summary, an optical mouse uses an optical sensor to take successive pictures of the surface the mouse is operating on. Most of these mice use LEDs to illuminate the surface that is being tracked; LED optical mice are often mislabeled as 'Laser Mice', probably due to the red LED which is used in almost all optical mice, though lasers are becoming more common, as they allow greater precision in movement detection. Changes between one frame and the next are processed by the image processing part of the chip and translated into movement on the two axes.
zenith
How optical mouse to work?
What's principle of the physics?

thanks b4

Computer science news on Phys.org
Wikipedia:
Modern surface-independent optical mice work by using an optical sensor to take successive pictures of the surface the mouse is operating on. Most of these mice use LEDs to illuminate the surface that is being tracked; LED optical mice are often mislabeled as 'Laser Mice', probably due to the red LED which is used in almost all optical mice, though lasers are becoming more common, as they allow greater precision in movement detection. Changes between one frame and the next are processed by the image processing part of the chip and translated into movement on the two axes. For example, the Agilent Technologies ADNS-2610 optical mouse sensor processes 1512 frames per second: each frame is a rectangular array of 18*18 pixels, and each pixel can sense 64 different levels of gray.
Demand for advances in optical mouse technology comes in large part from competitive FPS gamers, who prefer more accurate mice for more accurate aiming. Razer USA Ltd was the first to launch the 1600 dpi Razer Diamondback which was developed together with Agilent Technologies. Razer USA Ltd was led the mouse arms race for a year before Logitech caught up with its MX518 gaming mouse which also featured a 1600 dpi optical sensor.
Yay.

Likes Goplergop
Thanks, anyone give me referal of this study about optical mouse?

There's a program (readmouse) that dumps the little pictures that the mouse takes. Heh heh.

An optical mouse is an advanced computer pointing device that uses a light-emitting diode (LED), an optical sensor, and digital signal processing (DSP) in place of the traditional mouse ball and electromechanical transducer. Movement is detected by sensing changes in reflected light, rather than by interpreting the motion of a rolling sphere.

The optical mouse takes microscopic snapshots of the working surface at a rate of more than 1,000 images per second. If the mouse is moved, the image changes. The tiniest irregularities in the surface can produce images good enough for the sensor and DSP to generate usable movement data. The best surfaces reflect but scatter light; an example is a blank sheet of white drawing paper. Some surfaces do not allow the sensor and DSP to function properly because the irregularities are too small to be detected. An example of a poor optical-mousing surface is unfrosted glass.

In practice, an optical mouse does not need cleaning, because it has no moving parts. This all-electronic feature also eliminates mechanical fatigue and failure. If the device is used with the proper surface, sensing is more precise than is possible with any pointing device using the old electromechanical design. This is an asset in graphics applications, and it makes computer operation easier in general.

--From an internet dictionary

Last edited:
Is anyone give me of the reffernce about it?
I wish learn it!

zenith said:
Is anyone give me of the reffernce about it?
I wish learn it!

I don't get what you're asking for. They already gave you references on it.

Plus, I don't see what something like Googling or Yahoo-ing cannot do in this situation. Try searching first (you will most likely get your information there), then ask if you can't find the information online. :rolleyes:

Umm, my mouse has no red light but rather there's a label "Invisible Optic". I wonder waht taht exactly means. Does taht mean it use Infra/UV? Which one will give more precission?

Something interesting is that my microsoft optical mouse works flawlessly on every single surface I've ever tried, including extremely clear class.

I wonder how the mouse is able to detect motion on a perfectly uniform surface.

What if the mouse is moved at a very slow speed such that each image taken by the mouse is completely similar to each other?

Shailen Sobhe said:
I wonder how the mouse is able to detect motion on a perfectly uniform surface.

What if the mouse is moved at a very slow speed such that each image taken by the mouse is completely similar to each other?

as they said, it works at 1500 fps (frames per second) and even then is able to detect differences between the frames. how do you think you will manage to move your mouse at such a slow speed that the frames are identical in every aspect? you are theoretically correct but the task is practically impossible. this is the very reason why mice doesnot work well on clear clean glass...

What is an optical mouse and how does it work?

An optical mouse is a computer peripheral used to control the movement of a cursor on a computer screen. It uses a light-emitting diode (LED) or laser to illuminate the surface beneath the mouse and a small camera to capture images of the surface. These images are then processed by the mouse's internal microprocessor to determine the direction and speed of movement.

How does an optical mouse differ from a traditional mechanical mouse?

A traditional mechanical mouse uses a rubber ball and internal sensors to track movement, whereas an optical mouse uses light and a camera. This makes optical mice more accurate and less prone to mechanical failures, as there are no moving parts that can wear out or collect dirt and dust.

What are the advantages of using an optical mouse?

Optical mice offer a smoother and more precise tracking experience compared to mechanical mice. They also do not require a mouse pad and can work on a variety of surfaces, including glossy or uneven ones. Additionally, they are generally more durable and have a longer lifespan.

Are all optical mice the same?

No, there are different types of optical mice such as LED and laser mice. LED mice use a low-cost LED light source, while laser mice use a more precise laser light source. Additionally, there are also different levels of sensitivity and features, such as adjustable DPI (dots per inch) and programmable buttons, available in optical mice.

Do optical mice have any limitations?

While optical mice are generally more accurate and reliable than mechanical mice, they do have some limitations. They may not work well on reflective or transparent surfaces, and they may also have difficulty tracking very fast or very slow movements. However, these limitations can be mitigated by using a quality mouse pad and adjusting the mouse's sensitivity settings.