Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How power screw works

1. Mar 24, 2005 #1
    hi

does anyone knows how a power screw works, illustrations would be helpful..
    thanks

ss

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2005 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Do you mean the propeller of a ship?

4. Mar 24, 2005 #3

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

It's the same principle as a regular screw...a wedge. What are you looking for?

5. Mar 24, 2005 #4

minger

Science Advisor

If you're talking about say the propeller of a ship, then imagine an inclined plane sitting in a body of water. Then, just move it straight up through the water. The water will exert a force on the plane perpendicular to the plane. There will be two components of that force, one being in the x direction, a thurst load wanting to push the plane horizontally through the water.

Just note that this is very simplified, I'm sure there are other effects, and there is probably a "stall" angle where for a given rpm, and angle, the screw won't want to produce any axial force (although I would think you could go with a higher angle on a screw than just a straight propeller). Anyways....

6. Mar 24, 2005 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I think Stan is refering to a linear actuator type of power screw.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2005
  7. Mar 24, 2005 #6

minger

Science Advisor

OOOOoooo, power SCREW, haha. I have like a week and halfs worth of Machine Design notes on Power Screws somewhere at home. I'll look later for them

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?