Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How powerful are ur ears?

1. Jul 10, 2006 #1
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 10, 2006 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Couldn't hear the last one :(

4. Jul 10, 2006 #3
    Silence on all.

5. Jul 10, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Can here all of them although the lowest frequency was rather uncomfortable.

6. Jul 10, 2006 #5
    I only heard the first two, nr.2 barely.

7. Jul 10, 2006 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could hear all I've surprised myself.

8. Jul 10, 2006 #7
    Generally I believe as you get older your ability to hear high frequency sounds diminishes, although I couldn't hear high frequency noises other kids could when I was younger, and no doubt I still can't now. I'll have to test it later, no sound card here.

9. Jul 10, 2006 #8

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I only heard the first one. A few days ago there was a commercial on tv: "silent ring tone! you're teacher won't hear your cell phone going off in class!" .. I couldn't hear it either :frown:

10. Jul 10, 2006 #9

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

I could hear them all easily, maybe I didn't do it properly!

11. Jul 10, 2006 #10

siddharth

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, the ability to hear high frequencies reduces with age (or with rock music).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  12. Jul 10, 2006 #11

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could not hear any of them. Of course it will also depend on the the capabilities of your sound system as well as the SENSITIVITY (not power!) of your ears.

13. Jul 10, 2006 #12
    I can hear all of them, but only the last one if I increase the volume. This reminds me of the Mosquito ringtone story.

14. Jul 10, 2006 #13
    I could only hear the first 2...I wish I could have heard the other two...would this have any affect on the music each person would hear when they hear an orchestra? like, someone hearing all 4, would they hear more or less music/noise from an orchestra...

15. Jul 10, 2006 #14

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Most instruments and musical compositions I know of fall a fair way short of the maximum frequency the human ear can pick up. Even when we age and lose a fair chunk of the top range it will still not effect what you hear in an orchestra. There was an example of what older and younger people hear that I came across some time ago in relation to things in everyday life. this was an example of a train approaching a tube station and it had the a young persons aural perspective then an old persons with all the top frequecies removed. Its not accurate to individuals but gives you some idea of what its like. I'll try and find it on the web.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that i can hear a high pitched whine from most electrical equipment in the background most of the time when its switched on. Obviously most electrical appliances these days operate at high frequencies. How many also hear this background whine of electrical equipment?

16. Jul 10, 2006 #15

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

17. Jul 10, 2006 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I could hear the first one, and the second one, barely, but whether I could hear either or not depends on how much other noise is going on outside (I kept pressing play just as some other noise started up :grumpy:). I'll have to give it a try with external speakers and away from the fan motor of the computer before I report final results.

18. Jul 10, 2006 #17

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I can only hear the first one, but my hearing aid detects the second. Although it detects, I hear nothing.

19. Jul 10, 2006 #18

fuzzyfelt

Gold Member

thanks siddharth for implying I'm young, but I'm not really, and I've been to plenty of concerts. Also, I've never really thought I have good hearing -I have trouble hearing people talk at parties with loud music - or perhaps I actually prefer listeneing to the music!

20. Jul 10, 2006 #19

Math Is Hard

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

yeah, that's the "mosquito"
    https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=123901

21. Jul 10, 2006 #20

DaveC426913

Gold Member

It is said that asthmatics tend to have a higher hearing range than normal.

None come through on my laptop speaker (though I suppose they did and I wouldn't know it...)

I downloaded the app listed on the blog and tried it. I can hear up to 14750 (on my laptop speakers). It is very dependent on testing conditions. The files posted are way too short to get a good sound. At first I couldn't hear them, but the moment I moved my head I could. I was in a "node".

This would be a cool test to post and log the results...

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?