How Well Can You Hear? Test Your Frequency Range

• Thread starter PIT2
  • Start date
In summary, all of the sounds that were tested could be heard by the person, although the lowest frequency was rather uncomfortable to hear. The ability to hear high frequencies reduces with age, although the person could still hear the first two sounds easily.
It is said that asthmatics tend to have a higher hearing range than normal.

fi said:
Just a few thoughts about this.. I don't suffer from asthma but my Mum does.

It is a genetic link, yes.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmmm. I tried the first one again. I tried using my best earphones, turned the volume all the way up, and turned the 16kh button on the windows media player graphic equalizer all the way up and heard a clear loud tone. If I turned the 16KH all the way down, I heard nothing.

DaveC426913 said:
It is said that asthmatics tend to have a higher hearing range than normal.

It is a genetic link, yes.
Thanks, so are you saying I'm a carrier? Also, I guess I was wondering why there is a link between hearing and asthma, do you have any idea? Another thought I had was that I can usually tell when my Mum will have an attack, before she knows herself, from the way her breathing sounds. Thankfully that is fairly rare these days.

I've also been reading about the brains selection of frequencies, and it might have been relevant to mention that I didn't begin to talk myself till I was seven years old.

fi said:
I've also been reading about the brains selection of frequencies, and it might have been relevant to mention that I didn't begin to talk myself till I was seven years old.

That's actually kind of normal.

JasonRox said:
That's actually kind of normal.
Not talking until 7 years old is not "normal" unless you were just shy.

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/thebasics_speechandlanguage.asp"

Last edited by a moderator:
I heard them all. Not bad for someone my age.

I can still hear all 4, but the 4th one is really low.
I'll blame it on the what I'm using for sound :rofl:

At one time I could hear dog whistles, motion detectors (really really annoying), the old ultrasonic TV remotes and track a mosquito from 20' away.
Tested myself one time with some ceramic transducers and a sine generator. I could detect up to about 28-29khz, but the transducers were only rated for 15-25khz.

It just sounds like any other sound not particularly painful except sometimes getting too close to a motion detector, they are loud.

I have a friend who could also hear motion detectors.
Neither one of us is asthmatic, although my friend recently became allergic to bees.

The thing I miss the most about loosing the high end is that mosquito tracking bit.:grumpy:

fi said:
thanks siddharth for implying I'm young, but I'm not really, and I've been to plenty of concerts. Also, I've never really thought I have good hearing -I have trouble hearing people talk at parties with loud music - or perhaps I actually prefer listeneing to the music!
I've got that party problem. I think its just overload.

larkspur said:
Not talking until 7 years old is not "normal" unless you were just shy.

http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/voice/thebasics_speechandlanguage.asp"
Not shy, just pretty dreamy, as evidenced here!:smile:
Sorry to concern you, I was just emphasising how little was spoken in the years that my Mum suffered chronic asthma.

I've got that party problem. I think its just overload.-Quote from Notime,
thanks, yes, that's probably all it is.

Last edited by a moderator:
fi said:
Thanks, so are you saying I'm a carrier? Also, I guess I was wondering why there is a link between hearing and asthma, do you have any idea?
It means that the gene for hearing and the gene for asthma are very closely associated on the chromosomes. That's very often how unrelated traits are linked.

BTW, asthma is an auto-immune trait. Wouldn't surprise me if you had other immune-related troubles, such as allergies and excema etc.

LOL you know what would be great, add a few "blank" .wav files in there and see if anyone thinks they hear something. Sort of a placebo effect...

Mech_Engineer said:
LOL you know what would be great, add a few "blank" .wav files in there and see if anyone thinks they hear something. Sort of a placebo effect...
That's how I tested my kid. I clicked many times so he did not know if it was on or off. He still nailed em all.

I'm thinking I might set up a little webpage that does the test and tracks results. It would intersperse dummies with ... "realies", and you would have to get them right.