Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How rich are you?

1. Aug 17, 2007 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

How rich are you?
    (It takes less than 1 minute to find out!o:))

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 17, 2007 #2
    I put an income of $50k us because thats the starting pay for engineers and im at 98%. This is lame Lisa. I hate you.

4. Aug 17, 2007 #3

Lisa!

Gold Member

That's 0.98 % , dear! You need to see your doctor!:wink:

5. Aug 17, 2007 #4

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How come I earn nothing and I'm the richest person in the world? This is insane :tongue:

6. Aug 17, 2007 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

Those who're satisfied with what they have are the richest people in the world! Note to mention that they dont get anywhere in their lives.:tongue:

7. Aug 17, 2007 #6

Kurdt

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it was picking on me because it recognised I was from the UK, and has been poorly designed so that even though I earn less than the bottom 0.8% it still thinks I'm rich. :biggrin:

8. Aug 17, 2007 #7
    If I didn't have a dime, I'd still be the richest person in the world. The site equates income with wealth, even though these are two different concepts. For example:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  9. Aug 17, 2007 #8
    I cannot access the link of the OP. However, being asked "How rich I am", I would say that I am happily rich.

10. Aug 17, 2007 #9

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"You're in the TOP 0.49% richest people in the world!"

Still kind of a pointless argument, though. I'm aware that my money would have greater purchasing power in an Angolan village. Unfortunately, I don't live in an Angolan village, and food costs $10 a meal here.

- Warren

11. Aug 17, 2007 #10

Evo

Staff: Mentor

It's not working for me.

You are the 107,565 richest person in the world! You're in the TOP 0.001%
    richest people in the world!

Then I entered my last year's income which was a lot higher than this year and got the same result.

12. Aug 17, 2007 #11

turbo

Gold Member

Good point. John, a friend of mine mustered out of the Air Force in Australia during the Viet Nam war. The terms of his separation entitled him to free air passage on Air Force planes on an available-space basis, as long as he was headed back to the states, and he showed up in Nepal with $500 in his pocket and stayed for a year. He told me that apart from the local rug-merchant, he was the richest man in town.

13. Aug 17, 2007 #12

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We already know you make an obscene amount of money, Evo. You're probably making the program have round-off errors. :rofl:

- Warren

14. Aug 17, 2007 #13
    Its like superman III, only the guys in real life got caught and went to jail.

15. Aug 17, 2007 #14

Evo

I notice they don't ask what you're expenses are.

16. Aug 17, 2007 #15

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Isn't that sort of the point? You can control expenses even more easily than you can control income. It would be disingenous for you (or any other wealthy person) to claim that they somehow can't avoid those expenses.

- Warren

17. Aug 17, 2007 #16

russ_watters

I have no idea what you are talking about, warren. I can't live without $65 surf and turf once a week.

18. Aug 17, 2007 #17

turbo

Gold Member

That's weekly groceries for my wife and me.

19. Aug 17, 2007 #18

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Psst... sarcasm alert.

- Warren

20. Aug 17, 2007 #19
    He grows most of his own food or buys it from farmers market. Im sure it tastes better and costs less.

21. Aug 17, 2007 #20
    Heh, I put in my TA salary, which is about 17.5k before taxes when combined with my summer RA salary. Apparently I'm in the top 11.69%. Makes sense, since I'm making more money than I ever have before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?