1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How rigorous is this program

1. Feb 8, 2016 #1
    Hi! I'm currently looking to do a bsc with honours in physics at the University of Auckland. I expect to do most of the postgraduate (700) courses by year 3/4 and the 100, 200, 300 courses in years 1 2 and 3. I will also be taking some 100 courses in computer science and 200 and 300 ones in math. How rigorous is this and will it be a good foundation for a masters/PhD.

Here are some links for the courses;
    https://www.calendar.auckland.ac.nz/en/courses/faculty-of-science/physics.html
    https://www.calendar.auckland.ac.nz/en/courses/faculty-of-science/mathematics.html

Thanks for any answers in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2016 #2
    I'd write and ask:

What percentage of your graduating physics majors take the Physics GRE?

and

What are their mean, median, 25th, and 75th percentile scores?

Lots of programs look good on paper, but produce a lot of graduates unprepared for graduate school.

4. Feb 10, 2016 #3

e.bar.goum

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

The percentage of graduating physics majors taking the Physics GRE is not so relevant in countries where the GRE is not required for graduate school. My undergraduate university had an extremely good physics program and perhaps 3 people in my graduating class of 20 took the GRE (those that wanted to go to grad school in the US - two of them are now there), though about half went on to do PhDs.

ETA: Rankings are an imperfect tool, but the University of Auckland seems pretty good on that front. Another way to judge a school is to look at the research page for the physics school, and check out the undergraduate research options. If they're serious about producing grad students, there will be undergrad research options.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook