How rigorous is this program

In summary, the individual is planning to pursue a BSc with Honours in Physics at the University of Auckland, taking postgraduate courses in years 3 and 4 and undergraduate courses in years 1, 2, and 3. They also plan to take some computer science and math courses. They are concerned about the rigor of the program and its preparation for a masters/PhD. They have provided links to the courses and have asked about the percentage of graduating physics majors taking the Physics GRE and their scores. They also mention the importance of undergraduate research opportunities and recommend checking the university's research page for such options.
achappell2001
Hi! I'm currently looking to do a bsc with honours in physics at the University of Auckland. I expect to do most of the postgraduate (700) courses by year 3/4 and the 100, 200, 300 courses in years 1 2 and 3. I will also be taking some 100 courses in computer science and 200 and 300 ones in math. How rigorous is this and will it be a good foundation for a masters/PhD.

Here are some links for the courses;
https://www.calendar.auckland.ac.nz/en/courses/faculty-of-science/physics.html
https://www.calendar.auckland.ac.nz/en/courses/faculty-of-science/mathematics.html

Thanks for any answers in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd write and ask:

What percentage of your graduating physics majors take the Physics GRE?

and

What are their mean, median, 25th, and 75th percentile scores?

Lots of programs look good on paper, but produce a lot of graduates unprepared for graduate school.

Likes achappell2001
Dr. Courtney said:
I'd write and ask:

What percentage of your graduating physics majors take the Physics GRE?

and

What are their mean, median, 25th, and 75th percentile scores?

Lots of programs look good on paper, but produce a lot of graduates unprepared for graduate school.

The percentage of graduating physics majors taking the Physics GRE is not so relevant in countries where the GRE is not required for graduate school. My undergraduate university had an extremely good physics program and perhaps 3 people in my graduating class of 20 took the GRE (those that wanted to go to grad school in the US - two of them are now there), though about half went on to do PhDs.

ETA: Rankings are an imperfect tool, but the University of Auckland seems pretty good on that front. Another way to judge a school is to look at the research page for the physics school, and check out the undergraduate research options. If they're serious about producing grad students, there will be undergrad research options.

Likes achappell2001

1. How is the rigor of this program determined?

The rigor of a program is typically determined by the level of difficulty and complexity of the coursework, as well as the expectations and standards set by the institution.

2. What factors make a program more rigorous?

A program may be considered more rigorous if it has a higher workload, more advanced topics, and a greater emphasis on critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. How does the rigor of this program compare to others in the same field?

The rigor of a program can vary greatly between institutions and even within the same field. It is important to research and compare the curriculum and requirements of different programs to determine their level of rigor.

4. Is a rigorous program better than a less rigorous one?

The level of rigor in a program does not necessarily determine its quality. It is important to consider your own learning style and goals when choosing a program, rather than solely focusing on its rigor.

5. Can I handle the rigor of this program?

The level of rigor in a program can be challenging, but it is ultimately up to the individual and their dedication and effort. If you are willing to put in the work and seek support when needed, you can handle the rigor of any program.