Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How safe are restaurants?

1. Oct 11, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/6083318/

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2004 #2

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm surprised it's possible to make 600 violations :eek: how's that?

4. Oct 11, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

What, precisely is a "critical violation?"

Monique, thats per hundred restaraunts.

5. Oct 11, 2004 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

From the article:
    Somehow, it just doesn't surprise me. I've known people who waited tables in some of those chains, and about the only difference between them and fast food in terms of cleanliness is that you can't actually see into the kitchen in these chains to realize just how bad it is.

6. Oct 11, 2004 #5

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I remember eating at a Pizza Hut once and I saw the waiter drop a pizza, it landed upside down. He didn't see me watching. He scooped all of the toppings up off the floor, rearranged them on the pizza, sprinkled a bit of cheese on top, warmed it then served it to the table next to me.

Of course I told them before they started eating.

7. Oct 11, 2004 #6

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Holy ravioli !!!! :surprised :surprised :yuck:

8. Oct 11, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would bet that hotels should be added to the list of questionable food handlers. I got food poisoning at a hotel a couple of years ago. The bellhop told me that a young chef used meat that had sat out most of the previous day.

9. Oct 12, 2004 #8
    I work at restaurant, and many times my manager and the assistant managers have told me to serve food after I have droped it on the floor. Usually it is bacon or sausage before I cook it. They tell me to just put it on the stove and it will kill the germs, but what about the dirt that it picks up off of the floor. I refuse every time this happens. They always look very mad. We have a big shrinkage problem in my store. The managers get bonuses the months that no shrinkage occurs. I guess that is not so bad though. They never tell me to serve something that has been droped on the floor after I have cooked it. But most people at my job touch the food without washing their hands. Sometimes right in front of customers. Their is this one ladie that NEVER washes her hands. It is pretty sick. I have never seen any one complain though. Although I have only worked their for 6 months.

10. Oct 15, 2004 #9
    you get what you pay for I guess, I'm surprised denny's was the best, I do like their grandslams. I bet george webbs would be number one if they reviewed it

11. Oct 23, 2004 #10
    Upsetting the cook is something I don't recommend. As for cockroaches the old saying goes; what no kill you fatten you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?