Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How sensitive is downstream pressure to flow diverted through an upstream branch?

1. Dec 11, 2012 #1
    I have a somewhat theoretical question based on a real world problem regarding a gravity-fed domestic water system:

I have a very large tank (~10,000 gal) at 300' elevation supplying water to a piping system consisting of a 6" line coming down from the tank to a tee at 100' elevation. Branch 1 from the tee has a varying demand on the system in a 2" line. Branch 2 runs down to a closed valve at 80' and is also a 2" line. What is the static pressure at the closed valve when the Branch 1 demand is 5 gpm? 10 gpm? 20 gpm?

The real world basis is that I have these 50 psi swings (40 - 90 psi) in system pressure at my closed valve. I'm trying to determine if upstream demands could cause this and if so, how much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nathan

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted