Understanding Simmerring Performance Limits

• Thread starter An1MuS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of different materials for simmerring based on the permissible speeds for the shaft to rotate. The shaft has a diameter of 20 mm and rotates at a speed of 1370 rpm, with the circumferencial speed calculated to be 1.5 m/s using the formula velocity = angular speed * shaft radius. The graph provided shows the permissible speeds for the shaft to rotate at, with the light gray region indicating the use of NBR material and the dark gray region indicating the use of FKM material. The blue region is not permissible for either material.
An1MuS
9rvHq9x.png

The diameter of the shaft is 20 mm, and the circumferencial speed is 1,5 m/s, which i calculated doing

velocity = angular speed * shaft radius

The shaft rotates at 1370 rpm.

The graph should give the permissible speeds for the shaft to rotate at that allow the use of the simmerring made of that material. NBR and FKM are two materials from which their simmerings are made.

Source: http://www.simrit.com/files/00001387.pdf , p.20

Engineering news on Phys.org
The rpm lines are there as a convenience so you don't have to do the calculation you did yourself.

If your case is in the light gray region (which it is), you can safely use the NBR material. If it is in the dark gray region (and I presume the light gray region as well), you can use the FKM material. You cannot use either of them if you are in the blue region.

Likes An1MuS
Ahhh got it ! thank you very much

1. How do I interpret the x and y axes of the graph?

The x axis typically represents the independent variable, while the y axis represents the dependent variable. This means that changes in the x axis will affect the values on the y axis, and vice versa.

2. What do the different colors or symbols on the graph represent?

The different colors or symbols may represent different groups or categories within the data. This allows for easy comparison between the groups or categories.

3. How do I determine the scale of the graph?

The scale of the graph can be determined by looking at the numbers on the axes. Pay attention to the intervals between the numbers to understand the scale of the graph.

4. What is the significance of the trend or pattern shown on the graph?

The trend or pattern on the graph can provide valuable information about the relationship between the variables. It can show if there is a positive or negative correlation, or if there is no correlation at all.

5. How do I find specific data points on the graph?

You can find specific data points by following the lines or bars on the graph to their corresponding values on the axes. Some graphs may also have a key or legend that can help you identify specific data points.