How should we retire the Hubble?

• Thread starter Phobos
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hubble
In summary, the conversation discusses the fate of the Hubble telescope once its performance period is over. Suggestions include sending up a special re-entry vehicle to retrieve it, selling it to another space consortium, or sending it into the sun. The estimated cost of yearly maintenance and retrieval is mentioned, as well as the idea of using the Hubble to create "telescope babies." Some argue for the Hubble to be displayed in a museum as a symbol of human progress, while others believe the money could be better spent on other NASA projects. Ultimately, the group agrees with the original plan to bring the Hubble back to Earth for display in the Smithsonian Museum.

How should we retire the Hubble?

• Stick with the original plan & send up a shuttle.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Keep it in orbit (maintenance missions).

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Let it burn up in the atmosphere.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other,

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters
Phobos
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I heard this question on a radio talk show.

The original plan was to send up another shuttle mission to retrieve the Hubble so that it could be displayed in the Smithsonian Musuem. But with the Challanger and Columbia accidents behind us, do you think the risk is worth it? What should be done once the Hubble's performance period is over (a few years from now)?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think we should make a special re-entry vehicle that we can use to bring things back and make sure it's large enough to handle the Hubble. We could also use it to return other payloads for refurbishing.

Erm... does anyone have figures on how much yearly maintenance of Hubble costs?

Maybe it can just be sold to another space consortium.

Send it glorously into the sun!

Originally posted by FZ+
Erm... does anyone have figures on how much yearly maintenance of Hubble costs?
Or how much it costs to bring it back to earth? (about half a billion).

Originally posted by Phobos
What should be done once the Hubble's performance period is over (a few years from now)?

Just before it's "performance" period is over, attempt to make little telescope babies by flying Hubble straight into the giant radio telescope at arecibo chile.

Last edited:
That was funny.

But humor aside, the Hubble is actually a piece of technology that stands out among all time human accomplishments. It's a statement about the progress of the entire human race. If anything deserves to be in a museum, the Hubble is it.

Seriously though, if it costs that much, it is more worthwhile spending the cash where it is really needed - other NASA projects, than on little moments of sentimentality. That would be a better celebration of what the telescope acheived. It's just a machine for god's sake...

I think they should stick with the original plan.

Originally posted by selfAdjoint
Send it glorously into the sun!

My thoughts entirely. :)

I think they should give it to me.. it will be much better than my 8 inch dob

CNN finally picked up on the topic...
http://www.cnn.com/2003/TECH/space/08/15/hubble.reut/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How long has the Hubble been in operation?

The Hubble Space Telescope has been in operation since April 24, 1990. It has been servicing the scientific community for over 30 years.

2. Why do we need to retire the Hubble?

The Hubble Space Telescope was designed with a limited lifespan and its components are aging. It is also becoming increasingly difficult and expensive to maintain and repair the telescope. Retiring the Hubble will allow resources and focus to be directed towards newer and more advanced telescopes.

3. What is the proposed plan to retire the Hubble?

The current plan is to replace the Hubble with the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST). The JWST is scheduled to launch in 2021 and will have the capability to observe the universe with greater sensitivity and clarity than the Hubble.

4. Will there be any downside to retiring the Hubble?

Retiring the Hubble will mean the end of its groundbreaking observations and discoveries. It has provided us with invaluable data and images of the universe and its retirement will be a loss to the scientific community. However, the JWST will continue to expand our knowledge and understanding of the universe.

5. Can the Hubble be repurposed or used for other projects?

Unfortunately, the Hubble is not designed to be repurposed for other projects. Its instruments and components are specifically designed for astronomical observations and cannot be easily adapted for other uses. Additionally, the cost and effort required to repurpose the Hubble may not be justifiable when compared to the benefits of using newer and more advanced telescopes.