Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How soon do we die without mitosis?

1. Oct 3, 2003 #1

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I was wondering last night..

The turn-over in the human body is very fast, in the gut the cells differentiate from stem cells and after 2-5 days they are already discarded. Blood cells must have an even faster turnover.

Now I was wondering, if all cells in the body would stop dividing.. how long would it take for the organism -human being- to die, and what would we die of?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2003 #2

Science Advisor

My bet would be brain damage due to lack of oxygen. The lack of oxygen caused by a shortage of red blood cells. I believe the heart actually destroys some blood cells just by its mechanical activity. A co-worker of mine has a few artificial heart patents, some of which never entered testing due to their high destruction rate of red cells.

4. Oct 13, 2003 #3
    Re: how long it will take for us to die

Good Question.

I think it will take some time or us to die becoz the most essential organs that are required by an organism to be "alive" - like the heart and the brain ( or CNS) are organs the cells of which have an extremely slow rate of turnover. Maybe THAT'S WHY they have evolved to have an extremely slow rate of turnover- for permanence - in their capacity to store information ( neurons) and so that they are more permanent fixtures.Unlike the cells of the skin or the blood.

If mitosis stops happening, an organism, will lose the first barrier against infection - i.e the skin, and also the cells of the imune system. So, it is likely to die of a swarm of infectious diseses.
    Maybe infections due to oppurtunistic pathogens like pseudomonas will take hold.

By the way- I am new. I am a biologist and am interested in learning abt physics etc... to better my understanding of living as well as non living matter.
    Hi to all.

5. Oct 13, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Namaste Pragyan, aap kaise hai? Welcome to the forums!! I am a biochemist and a great fan of Indian movies/music :)

I was also thinking that an infection due to the lack of white bloodcells would be the main cause.
  6. Oct 14, 2003 #5
    I think this has already been tested. Some forms of chemotherapy kills fast dividing cells, even non-cancerous ones. Hence, the side-effects of chemotherapy could point the way!

7. Oct 18, 2003 #6
    Namaste Monique- well what a coincidence! Even I am very fond of Indian movies and music!!! [​IMG]

Well - it is fun being a part of the forum- I found it interesting since people interact well and promptly... and have intersting things to discuss.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?