How does speed affect time in Einstein's theory of relativity?

In summary, the concept of time dilation is always relative to a stationary frame and is affected by the speed at which an observer/object/clock is moving in that frame. In order to calculate time dilation, one must choose a frame of reference and not apply it to both objects, as that would result in nonsensical outcomes.
Snip3r
Hi I m new here. i hv been thinking,searching abt this but could get no where
If i m moving in a rocket away from earth, people on Earth will notice my clock ticking slower.But they are moving at the same velocity wrt me.So will i notice their clocks ticking slower?if not why?essentially i m having hard time trying to understand how speed changes time when there is no absolute rest. per Einstein if i m in spaceship traveling at say 0.866C so when i travel for 10 yrs wrt Earth my clock would only show 5 years..can i say Earth is in motion wrt me and ticks only 2.5 yrs as my clock read 5 yrs?i m sure am missing something here can some one explain it more clearly?

thx

Physics news on Phys.org
Time dilation is always with respect to a stationary frame and is related to the speed that any observer/object/clock is moving in that frame. In a frame in which the Earth is at rest, your clock will tick at one half the normal rate because you are the one that is moving and the Earth's clocks will tick at the normal rate because it is not moving. In a frame in which you are at rest, your clock will tick normally and since the Earth is moving, its clock will tick at one half the rate. You need to pick one frame in which to assign the speed of objects and then you can determine the time dilation for each of those objects. Just think what it would be like if someone said that you were traveling at 0.866c away from the Earth and at the same time the Earth was traveling 0.866c away from you and then they tried to say that the net speed difference was way more the 0.866c. That would be nonsense, wouldn't it? In the same way, when you assign time dilation to both objects, you get nonsense. So don't do that.

1. How does speed affect time?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time is not constant and can vary depending on the speed of an object. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object relative to an observer. This is known as time dilation.

2. Does time actually slow down at high speeds?

Yes, time dilation has been proven through various experiments and observations, such as the famous Hafele-Keating experiment in 1971. This phenomenon has also been observed in high-speed particles in particle accelerators.

3. How much does speed have to change for time to be affected?

According to Einstein's theory, time dilation occurs at any speed, but it becomes more noticeable as the speed approaches the speed of light. The change in time is relative to the speed of an object, so any increase in speed will result in a change in time.

4. Can time go backward with high speeds?

No, time dilation only affects the rate at which time passes, not the direction. Time will always move forward, but it can appear to slow down or speed up depending on the speed of an object.

5. How does time dilation affect our daily lives?

Time dilation has a very small effect on our daily lives since we do not experience speeds close to the speed of light. However, it does have practical uses in technologies such as GPS, which requires precise timing to function accurately.