Exploring Charge Flow in Capacitors Connected in Series

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of charges in a capacitor system, specifically when two capacitors are connected in series with opposite charges on their plates. It is explained that there is no flow of charges between them due to induction and the equilibrium of forces. The conversation also touches on the topic of charge distribution and the importance of considering the electric field in the wire connecting the plates.
pardesi
consider the plates ofa capacitor suppose u just have two capacitors connected in series then consider the two plates not connected to the battery that form a seprate system .one of them has [tex]+Q[/tex] and the other [tex]-Q[/tex]
then how is that there is no flow of charges between them because one of them repells electron(considering the net effect of that and it's 'conjugate' plate) and other attracts (considering the net effect of this it's 'conjugate' plate)

Physics news on Phys.org
In a real capacitor there is a flow because the insulating material between the plates is obviously never a perfect insulator.

It's a common fault in electronics designs to produce a circuit which doesn;t work where the capcitors never fully charge because of the leakage current.

but the wires between the plates of two capacitors is atleast theoritically perfectly conducting

does someone have any idea...

pardesi said:
consider the plates ofa capacitor suppose u just have two capacitors connected in series then consider the two plates not connected to the battery that form a seprate system .one of them has [tex]+Q[/tex] and the other [tex]-Q[/tex]

then how is that there is no flow of charges between them ?

For the same reason a neutral piece of paper is attracted to a positivily charged comb.

It happens because, even though the piece of paper is originally neutral, the positive charge on the comb induces a dipole field on the paper.

Likewise in your case, each outer plate (connected to the battery) "induces" opposite charge on the inner plates. In effect the formerly neutral inner plates (connected together) 'act as if' they are a large "induced" dipole.

The +Q and -Q on the inner plates are only there because of induction. They don't neutralize each other for the same reason an 'induced' dipole doesn't neutralize itself.
The charges in an E field arrange themselves in such a way to try to neutralize the externally applied FIELD.

Creator:biggrin:

Last edited:
but my question is about the field between +Q of one plate and -Q of other plate

pardesi said:
but my question is about the field between +Q of one plate and -Q of other plate

If I understand correctly, this is what you have in mind:

... +Q1 -Q2 +Q3 -Q4
------| |------| |-------

Absolute values of all charges are equal (Q1=Q2=Q3=Q4), if both capacitors are equal. They have different labels to help the discussion. You are asking, why charges -Q2 and +Q3 do not move toward each other. Right? Indeed, there is attraction between them, and the wire presents a convenient path.

The answer is that -Q2 is also attracted to +Q1, and +Q3 is also attracted to -Q4. So, in the equilibrium situation it is unlikely that Q2=Q3=0. The equilibrium values of charges Q1=Q2=Q3=Q4 can be found by knowing capacitance values and the applied voltage.

Eugene.

no not that the capacitors move towards each other...i was talking about the intermediate electrons in the wire ...just near te negative charge they are pushed and juts near the positive they are attracted so how come the charging in this segment ever stop

pardesi said:
no not that the capacitors move towards each other...

I haven't implied that capacitor plates are moving. I was talking about moving charges.

pardesi said:
i was talking about the intermediate electrons in the wire ...just near te negative charge they are pushed and juts near the positive they are attracted so how come the charging in this segment ever stop

There is no electric field in the wire connecting plates -Q2 and +Q3. The field created by charges -Q2 and +Q3 is exactly compensated by the field created by charges +Q1 and -Q4. Therefore, electrons in this wire are not moving.

I am not sure if you agree with my explanation, perhaps, I didn't understand your question. What is the charge distribution among all four plates, in your opinion?

Eugene.

actually it is this fact that is worrying if the charges are so distributed that the field cancel out then the charging never stops end evn if they didn't it wouldn't (may be...)
i don't have any idea sbout charge distribution

pardesi said:
actually it is this fact that is worrying if the charges are so distributed that the field cancel out then the charging never stops end evn if they didn't it wouldn't (may be...)

I am not sure we are talking about the same thing. The equilibrium condition is exactly when forces acting on each charge in the system are balanced. In this situation, the electric field in the wire is zero, so electrons are not moving along the wire, and the charges on capacitors plates are not changing.

Eugene.

1. What is the purpose of connecting capacitors in series?

Connecting capacitors in series allows for the accumulation of charge and the increase of the overall capacitance of the circuit. This can be useful in situations where a single capacitor does not provide enough capacitance for the desired application.

2. How does charge flow in capacitors connected in series?

In a series circuit, the charge is shared between all of the capacitors. This means that the same amount of charge flows through each capacitor, resulting in a total charge that is equal to the sum of the charges on each individual capacitor.

3. What is the effect of increasing the number of capacitors connected in series?

Increasing the number of capacitors connected in series increases the total capacitance of the circuit. This is because the capacitors act as a single, larger capacitor, with a capacitance that is equal to the sum of the individual capacitors' capacitances.

4. How does the voltage change across capacitors connected in series?

In a series circuit, the voltage is divided between each capacitor. This means that the voltage across each capacitor may be different, but the sum of the voltages across all of the capacitors will be equal to the total voltage of the circuit.

5. What are some real-world applications of capacitors connected in series?

Capacitors connected in series are commonly used in electronics to store energy, filter signals, and create timing circuits. They are also used in power factor correction systems and in high-voltage power supplies.