How stars get their mass.

• Thread starter discord73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Stars
In summary: So, I would guess that the answer to your question is that it is possible for stars to form that are in the process of blowing themselves apart, but they are not really very stable and do not really last very long.In summary, the start of hydrogen fusion in a star depends on its core temperature, and it is possible for matter to continue accreting onto a protostar, resulting in higher masses. The upper limit for a star's mass is around 100 solar masses, as beyond this point, the star begins to blow itself apart due to radiation pressure. It is possible for stars to form with masses over 200 solar masses, but they are not very stable and do not last long. The exact process of how high
discord73
If Hydrogen fusion starts around 100JM (Jupiter Masses) then how do the larger stars get so massive? I was watching The Universe and it said some stars are over 200 solar masses and higher. How can a star get so massive?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
discord73 said:
If Hydrogen fusion starts around 100JM (Jupiter Masses)

Well, what the start of hydrogen fusion really depends upon is temperature. If the core temperature is high enough, fusion will occur. I suppose it is possible that 100 MJup is the least massive object for which this can be the case, but I have to admit I am unsure.

discord73 said:
then how do the larger stars get so massive?

I'm not totally sure what you're asking here. You realize it is possible for matter to continue to accrete onto a protostar? If your question is, "what determines the masses with which stars will form?", then I think the answer might be "nobody knows for sure." People have ideas. There is the idea that there might be some dependence upon environment. For instance, in a dense environment, more matter can continue to accrete, causing the central temperature to get higher before hydrostatic equilibrium is achieved. In a less dense environment, maybe hydrostatic equilibrium is achieved at a lower mass. In any case, high mass star formation is particularly puzzling. People are not sure whether this accretion picture is accurate, or whether the highest masses of stars need to form by coalescence (i.e. by the merger of several lower mass stars that are in the process of formation).

discord73 said:
I was watching The Universe and it said some stars are over 200 solar masses and higher. How can a star get so massive?

I am pretty sure that around 100 Msun is the upper limit beyond which a star begins to blow itself apart (i.e. blow away its outer layers) due to radiation pressure (because the more massive a star is, the more luminous it is).

1. How do stars get their mass?

Stars get their mass from the gas and dust clouds that exist in the universe. These clouds are mostly made up of hydrogen and helium, and over time, the force of gravity causes these particles to come together and form a star.

2. What is the process of star formation?

Star formation begins with the collapse of a gas and dust cloud due to gravity. As the cloud collapses, it begins to spin and flatten into a disc shape. This spinning motion causes the material in the disc to clump together, eventually forming a dense core. This core continues to grow as it collects more material, eventually becoming hot enough and dense enough to begin nuclear fusion and become a star.

3. Why do stars have different masses?

The mass of a star is determined by the amount of material that was present in the gas and dust cloud from which it formed. The more material in the cloud, the greater the mass of the resulting star. Additionally, factors such as the rate of star formation and the surrounding environment can also influence the mass of a star.

4. Can stars lose or gain mass?

Yes, stars can lose or gain mass over time. As stars age, they go through various stages of nuclear fusion, which can cause them to lose or gain mass depending on the reactions taking place. Stars can also lose mass through stellar winds, and in some cases, stars can gain mass by pulling material from a companion star in a binary system.

5. How does a star's mass affect its lifespan?

The mass of a star has a significant impact on its lifespan. The more massive a star is, the hotter and brighter it burns, using up its fuel at a faster rate. This means that more massive stars have shorter lifespans compared to lower mass stars. For example, a star with 10 times the mass of our Sun will only live for about 10 million years, while our Sun will have a lifespan of about 10 billion years.