Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How stress causes aging

1. Aug 26, 2005 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

full article

Last edited: Aug 26, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2005 #2

Gold Member

I thought that strss caused improper protein production, an that was why. :confused:

or maybe I don't know anything
  4. Aug 31, 2005 #3
    Do they anywere speculate on what physiological changes associated with stress can cause DNA/dmg, thus far its correlation right, theres probably alot of habbits that differ between a stressed and a non stressed person that can contribute to aging.
  5. Sep 1, 2005 #4

Staff: Mentor

This might help those who have to deal with a death or divorce.

Art of Saying Goodbye: How to Survive the Loss of a Love
    Arthur Samuels, MD

Similar stress occurs when one looses a job, or otherwise is forced into a 'life changing situation'.

It can help for one to open up to others, particularly one's friends, who can offer support.
  6. Sep 1, 2005 #5

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

From what I've heard, the telomere shortening as the basis of the aging phenomenon is not a generally accepted theory.
  7. Sep 1, 2005 #6
    It's not, telomere shortening just correlates with age, cells drop in to a scenesence like arrest before the get too short. As far as I can remember the aging phenotype has to do with accumulating DNA damage during life (this is also apparent from people suffering from werner syndrome which display premature aging due to loss of the werner protein which is required for DNA damage repair) oxidative stress and the sort. Also loss of genomic methylation is supposed to play a role but there are likely to be more factors. As I read the literature about it it probably starts with loss of the capability to repair damage in general which probably starts somewhere around your 30's. The specific changes that lead to this loss represent the holy grail for many scientists.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?