1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How tall is the bridge?

1. Jan 14, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A rock thrown horizontally from a bridge hits the water below 30 meters away in the horizontal direction. If the rock was in the air for 2 seconds, how tall is the bridge?

2. Relevant equations
    d=.5gt2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think I am going about this the right way. Just want to double check.

d=.5*9.81*4
    d= 19.62m
    The bridge would be 19.62m high?

cheers,
    Keith

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2015 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

It's been about 50 years since I've actually worked out a problem like that but it sounds wrong, and here's why: the acceleration due to gravity is 9.8 meters per second per second. That means that the rock will travel 9.8 meters in the first second, but much more in the next second, so the total can't be 9.8 x 2 which is what you got.

4. Jan 14, 2015 #3
    It looks right to me. The first second it travels ~ 5 m, and the second second, it travels ~15 m.

Chet

5. Jan 14, 2015 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Guess I have it wrong then that it travels 9.8m in the first second. I guess what the figure means is that at the end of the first second it is MOVING at 9.8 m/s, not that it has MOVED 9.8 m ... 50 years ago I bet I would have got it right :oldtongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted