Solving Summations with Modified Exponents

• Thread starter Buddy711
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Summation
In summary, the conversation revolved around solving a problem involving summation of sequences, specifically the formula {\frac{1}{8}}\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}n({\frac{3}{4}})^{n-2}, with the given result of 2.5. The participants discussed different approaches, including using the formula \sum_{n=0}^{\infty} r^n = \frac{1}{1-r} and its derivative, \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \cdot r^{n-1} = \frac{1}{(1-r)^2}. They also addressed the issue of the exponent being n-2 instead of n-
Buddy711
Hi everyone.
I hardly remember the fomulas of summation of sequence.

I got this problem.

[tex]{\frac{1}{8}}\sum^{\infty}_{n=2}n({\frac{3}{4}})^{n-2}[/tex]

The result is 2.5.
How can I solve this problem?

Thanks all. :)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Assuming |r| < 1 then

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty} r^n = \frac{1}{1-r}[/tex]

Differentiation both sides with respect to r gives:

[tex]\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} n \cdot r^{n-1} = \frac{1}{(1-r)^2}[/tex]

This should give you a push in the right direction.

(Warning: Be careful of your initial index.)

--Elucidus

You suggested me very good approach.
However, the problem still remains,,,

my equation is n vs (n-2), not n vs (n-1)

Thanks!

Raising it to the power of n-2 instead of n-1 is just dividing it by 3/4. You should be able to find a way to modify your series so that you have an n-1 in the exponent

Office_Shredder said:
Raising it to the power of n-2 instead of n-1 is just dividing it by 3/4. You should be able to find a way to modify your series so that you have an n-1 in the exponent

You are absolutely right.
I was so stupid.

Thank you ;-)

1. How do you perform a summation?

A summation is a mathematical operation that involves adding together a sequence of numbers. It can be performed by writing out the numbers in a horizontal row and then adding them up, or by using a mathematical formula such as ∑n = a + (a+1) + (a+2) + ... + b.

2. What is the purpose of a summation?

The purpose of a summation is to find the total sum of a given sequence of numbers. It is commonly used in mathematics, statistics, and physics to solve various problems and equations.

3. How is summation related to the number 3?

A summation is not necessarily related to the number 3. The number 3 can be used as one of the numbers in the sequence to be added, or it can be the result of the summation. The summation itself is a general mathematical concept and can involve any number.

4. Can a summation result in a negative number?

Yes, a summation can result in a negative number if the sequence being added contains negative numbers or if the numbers are being subtracted instead of added. For example, the summation ∑n = -3 + (-2) + (-1) + 0 + 1 + 2 + 3 would result in a total of 0.

5. How is summation different from multiplication?

Summation and multiplication are two different mathematical operations. While multiplication involves repeated addition of the same number, summation involves adding a sequence of different numbers. For example, 2 x 3 is equivalent to 2 + 2 + 2, but ∑n = 2 + 3 + 4 involves adding three different numbers. Additionally, multiplication results in a product, while summation results in a sum.