1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to add sets? easy question?

1. Sep 5, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A = {-1,2,4,7}
    Let B = {-2,-1,1}

Find A+B and A*B. (multiply)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Am I right here?

A+B = {-3,-2,0,1,2,3,5,6,8}

A*B = {-14,-8,-7,-4,-2,-1,1,2,4,7}
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2008 #2
    Sorry this is a bit confusing. I don't think you can add/multiply sets like that. For multiplication you need the cartesian product which is just [tex] (a,b) \quad a\in A, b\in B[/tex]. If you can expand and say what you mean by multiplying and adding sets then I can help a bit more.
  4. Sep 6, 2008 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are a number of different ways to define A+ B or A*B for sets. For example, those are often used to mean union and intersection of sets. I think what you are talking about is "z is in A+ B if and only if z= x+ y for some x in A and some y in B" and "z is in A*B if and only if z= xy for some x in A and some y in B." Assuming those are the definitions you are using, yes, what you have is correct.
  5. Sep 6, 2008 #4
    Ahh, so if I defined it as multiplication or addition, then that would be valid.

Define A + B = [ a + b : a in A, b in B }

Likewise for A*B. I was confused because it didn't seem natural.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?