How to add two bessel functions

In summary, Viet is asking if it is possible to solve a problem involving the first order Bessel function in an analytical way. He is also wondering if the expression (b-1)^n-(b+1)^n can be simplified using a series, and if there are other series that can simplify it to the form of (f)^n. In response, JJacquelin suggests that it may only be possible to simplify the expression for n<3, as for n>2, a function f would still depend on n.
vvthuy
Hi,

I need to solve one problem like this:

(a+b)*J_{1}[x(a+b)]-(a-b)*J_{1}[x(a-b)]=c

J_{1} denotes the first order Bessel function. Do you think that it is possible to solve this function in an analytical way?

Thanks,

Viet.

Physics news on Phys.org
vvthuy said:
Hi,

I need to solve one problem like this:

(a+b)*J_{1}[x(a+b)]-(a-b)*J_{1}[x(a-b)]=c

J_{1} denotes the first order Bessel function. Do you think that it is possible to solve this function in an analytical way?

Thanks,

Viet.

Unfortunately not, I think.

Thanks for your reply. An approximate solution is also expected.

I found an way to modify the above bessel function using Multiplication theorem but I was stuck again at the following step
(b-1)^n-(b+1)^n

Do you know whether I can simplify this using series?

vvthuy said:
Thanks for your reply. An approximate solution is also expected.

Generally, analytical approximate solutions are formulas which depend on the range of the parameters values. If nothing is known about the range of the numerical values of the parameters (a, b), probably it is impossible to say if such a formula can be derived.

vvthuy said:
I found an way to modify the above bessel function using Multiplication theorem but I was stuck again at the following step
(b-1)^n-(b+1)^n

Do you know whether I can simplify this using series?

The finite series development is :

Attachments

• finite series.JPG
    finite series.JPG
    3.2 KB · Views: 361
Thank JJacquelin's comments and the equation. Do you know any other series which allow us to simplify (b-1)^n-(b+1)^n to the form of ()^n?

vvthuy said:
Thank JJacquelin's comments and the equation. Do you know any other series which allow us to simplify (b-1)^n-(b+1)^n to the form of ()^n?

What do you mean (?)^n ?
I cannot understand your question.

I meant, I tried to get the following form by expansion the left hand side of equation and then combine terms to get the right hand side

(b-1)^n-(b+1)^n =(f)^n

where f depends on b.

for example

(x-1)^2-(x+1)^2 =-[4sqrt(x)]^2

vvthuy said:
I meant, I tried to get the following form by expansion the left hand side of equation and then combine terms to get the right hand side

(b-1)^n-(b+1)^n =(f)^n

where f depends on b.

for example

(x-1)^2-(x+1)^2 =-[4sqrt(x)]^2

You can only do that in case of n<3 because, in this case, the number of terms of the series development (as shown in my preceeding post) is reduced to one.
If n>2, it is impossible to find a function f which do not depends of n.
(b-1)^n-(b+1)^n =(f(b,n))^n

What are Bessel functions?

Bessel functions are a type of special function that arise in many areas of mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are named after the mathematician Friedrich Bessel and are used to solve differential equations with circular or cylindrical symmetry.

How are Bessel functions denoted?

Bessel functions are denoted by the symbol Jn(x), where n is the order of the function and x is the argument. The order, n, can be any real or complex number.

What is the formula for adding two Bessel functions?

The formula for adding two Bessel functions is Jn(x) + Jm(x) = ∑k=0 2k / (k+n)! (k+m)! (x/2)n+m+2k, where n and m are the orders of the two Bessel functions.

Can Bessel functions be added for any order and argument?

Yes, Bessel functions can be added for any order and argument. However, the resulting sum may not always have a closed form solution and may need to be approximated numerically.

Why are Bessel functions useful?

Bessel functions are useful because they have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used to describe the propagation of waves, heat flow, and electromagnetic fields. They also have important applications in signal processing, image processing, and control theory.