Analyzing Wing Spar Loading with Rectangular Distribution Method

• Thread starter pegus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the most accurate way to perform a static analysis of a wing spar for a straight high wing. It is suggested to assume a uniform or non-uniform distribution of lift load, taking into account the weight of the wing and twisting loads. The analysis is for determining the safety factor and displacement of the spar during flight. It is recommended to use a rectangular distribution for lift forces, which will give conservative results and is a good approximation for wing loading.
pegus
I am trying to figure out which is the most accurate way to perform the static analysis of a wing spar. Some partners told me to analyze it in cantiliver and the half of the lift force on the tip, but I do not think this is the proper way because the lift does not act on the tips. I was thinking to put the lift on the middle on the wing. This analysis is for a straight high wing.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends what you want to use the analysis for, and whether you want the results to be "accurate" or "conservative".

A reasonable model would be to assume the lift load is uniformly distributed along the length (or even non-uniformly distributed, depending on the shape of the wing). You might also want to include the weight of the wing, and the twisting loads if the chordwise position of the center of lift is not the same as the spar position.

Likes 1 person
This analysis is to get the safety factor of the spar and the displacement on the tips when the plane is flying. Is a rectangular wing, and the spar will be located on the aerodynamic center (approximately 1/4 of the chord from the leading edge), up to where I know this is where the lift acts.

I would (as a first approximation at least) model it as a uniform distribution. This will give you a conservative answer, since in reality the root of the wing will be a bit more heavily loaded than the tip.

Likes 1 person
Ok, so if my total lift force is 30lbs, and half of the wingspan is 51" (because I am analyzing half of the wing as cantilivier), the distributed lift will be (15lb/51"), right?

I use a rectangular distribution for lift forces when working with spar loading. It gives conservative results and is a reasonably good approximation to wing loading.

Likes 1 person

1. How do you determine the material properties of a wing spar?

To determine the material properties of a wing spar, several tests can be performed such as tensile, compressive, and bending tests. These tests measure the strength, stiffness, and flexibility of the material, which are important factors in analyzing a wing spar. Additionally, material properties can also be obtained from previous data or specifications provided by the manufacturer.

2. What factors are considered when analyzing a wing spar?

There are several factors that need to be considered when analyzing a wing spar, including the material properties, loading conditions, and structural design. The material properties determine the strength and stiffness of the spar, while the loading conditions, such as aerodynamic forces and weight, affect the stress and strain on the spar. The structural design ensures that the spar can withstand these loading conditions without failure.

3. What methods are used to analyze a wing spar?

There are various methods that can be used to analyze a wing spar, such as analytical methods, finite element analysis, and experimental testing. Analytical methods use mathematical equations to determine stress and strain in the spar, while finite element analysis uses computer simulations to model the behavior of the spar under different loading conditions. Experimental testing involves physically testing the spar to measure its response to various loads.

4. How do you determine the critical points on a wing spar?

Critical points on a wing spar are locations where the stress is the highest and can potentially cause failure. These points can be determined through stress analysis, where the stress distribution along the spar is analyzed and the points with the highest stress are identified. Another method is using strain gauges, which can measure the strain at different locations on the spar, allowing for the identification of critical points.

5. What are the common failure modes of a wing spar?

The most common failure modes of a wing spar include buckling, fatigue, and yielding. Buckling occurs when the spar is subjected to compressive loads and fails due to instability. Fatigue failure is caused by repeated loading and unloading, which can lead to cracks and ultimately failure. Yielding happens when the stress on the spar exceeds its yield strength, causing permanent deformation or failure.