Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to avoid cancer?

1. Oct 16, 2004 #1
    Please suggest good ideas to prevent it,
    In terms of:
    1) food you eat (eating habit)
    2) water you drink
    3) air
    4) exercise
    5) control of temperament
    6) etc.
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Get checkups. Cancer is partly genes, partly virus, and partly environmental damage. You can't avoid it by being good. If you are at risk for colo-rectal cancer (due to genes) eating a healthy diet with fiber (oatmeal for example) is known to help. Other kinds have other interventions, but they won't eliminate your chance of getting cancer, just reduce it.

Of course if you happen to have the right genes, you don't have to worry about cancer at all, but don't bet on it.
  4. Oct 16, 2004 #3
    1)i think we should eat more vegetables but less fried food . Fried food contain some substances which can increase the chance of getting cancer.
    3) air , i think we cannot have a great change of it unless you move to another places.As i know ,Asbestos is surely carcinogenic.
    And one thing you should keep in mind is excess radiation is also harmful to us
  5. Oct 17, 2004 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Main things to focus on...
    (1) Eat well & exercise.

(2) As selfadjoint said, find out what you are genetically susceptible to (family history) and then adjust your lifestyle/diet to minimize those risks.

(a) Get enough of vitamins C & E in your daily diet (anti-oxidants).

(b) Avoid prolonged exposure to carcinogenic chemicals (pollution, household materials, etc.).
  6. Oct 17, 2004 #5
    Avoid sex and sunlight.
  7. Oct 17, 2004 #6
    avoid sex? be austere? live in celibacy ?
  8. Oct 17, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It's a joke, son. Like the old joke, if you don't drink, don't smoke, and don't run around with women, you may not live to be 90, but it will feel like it.
  9. Oct 17, 2004 #8
    I read that Ajinomoto can cause canser, sure?
  10. Oct 17, 2004 #9
    Start smoking cig....... I mean start smoking weed of course :cool:
  11. Oct 18, 2004 #10
    E vitamers

What is vitamin E, and how much of it is enough?
  12. Oct 18, 2004 #11
    The Ajinomoto corporation and its many chemical products

Ajinomoto is the name of a company. Maybe you mean aspartame, a sweetener made by Ajinomoto.

PubMed returns some records of studies on Nutrasweet and aspartame.

Or maybe you meant MSG (monosodium glutamate), a flavoring chemical made by Ajinomoto.

PubMed returns some records of studies on MSG.
  13. Oct 20, 2004 #12
    Ensure plenty vitamin C. Even if you eat a good balanced diet, it probably does not contain enough - use supplements.
  14. Oct 20, 2004 #13
    From my knowledge, antioxidants(which can come from fruits & vegetables) are one of the best ways. Here's a summary why it is.. Breathing in oxygen causes our bodies to form "free radicals". These free radicals can cause cancers. Some birds are not affected by free radicals cuz their bodies produces something(which i'm not sure) to prevent these free radicals from causing cancers. But we're not birds :surprised However science has come out with a way for us to prevent these free radicals from forming cancers which is by taking antioxidants. Do a google search on free radicals to find out more. Here's a webpage: www.healthchecksystems.com/antioxid.htm
    Ps. This doesn't mean u can't breathe :bugeye:
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2004
  15. Oct 20, 2004 #14
    Eating plenty of vitamin C is harmful to our health per day. You just need to take enough vitamin C every day as it is soluble in water and cannot be stored in our body
  16. Oct 27, 2004 #15
    I don't have much time so I can't go into it much, but I have completed exstinsive studies on coral calcium. I have been taking CC for about 2yrs now and in that time have not so much as even had a cold. I highly recomend further study on Ionized Coral Calcium. I feel that it is a key ingrediant in long-jevity and healthy life. :rofl:
  17. Oct 28, 2004 #16
    clean your vegetables with salt water, to get rid of pesticide, so that lower chance to get cancer
  18. Oct 28, 2004 #17
    Its all in the research of stem cells. Yes there are plenty of other methods that can be aimed in studying the cure for cancer. One of the most interesting to me was the development of a drug, the name I forget, however its target was to destroy the capillaries leading to the tumor itself. However with the advancement of the radiation therapy which can now match the irregular shape of a cancer cell, the research of stem cells is just an anxiously awaited research oppurtunity. ANd thanks to Governor Schwartzenegger the allowance for this research is becoming more of a reality.
  19. Aug 14, 2009 #18
    I think the best way o avoid cancer is to have a healthy diet and if you had a sudden change in your body (example; weight lose, change on bowel movements,etc..), we should consult it to a medical professional to avoid more complications. And as our folks keep telling us, stay away from drugs and smoking.
  20. Aug 14, 2009 #19
    Do we know for sure that cancer can be avoided by washing the vegetables or by having 'enough' amount of vitamin C?
  21. Aug 14, 2009 #20

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Die young !
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?