How to avoid my thread from being locked away?

• Thread starter vectorcube
  • Start date
In summary, the thread was locked because the poster would not explain why he thought what he was posting had merit or benefit.
vectorcube
Is it me our is there is particular reason why some threads are lock, and some threads are not lock. I ask this question because there are many threads in the general section that are not serious at all( Ie: How i did badly on a test, or thread of pictures), and they are not locked. I find that i have to justify the purpose of my thread to a moderator to avoid her from locking me up, and my thread is still locked away. My thread on " self-learners tend to be INTP". I present a pretty fine argument, with clear premises, and conclusion, and yet it is locked away. When i ask why, no answer is given. If you think about the attention i pay to the detail of the thread, and how it got locked away so easily. It seems so unfair. Have i done something wrong? How come a thread about picture goes unlocked, and my thread are locked. Gosh, people just don` t like me. I feel so sad.

Anyways, how do posters avoid their thread from being locked? Why is it that my thread is locked? Is it because i am so unpopular? I need some feedback on what i am doing wrong.

How is it that a thread like this:https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=318846
goes unlock, while my thread which i pay so much attention in writing got lock in only two pages.
My thread contains clear cut premises, and conclusion.https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=352387 . Is it not even worth a thread about youtube videos? It is not very fair at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
vectorcube said:
How come a thread about picture goes unlocked, and my thread are locked. Gosh, people just don` t like me. I feel so sad.

There have been many IQ threads in the past that were locked down and I think your thread came in that category also. But, I cannot say anything for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great, that video just makes me feel so good. thanks.

You did not so much seem to be making discussion but rather simply stating your opinion, repeatedly. You'll note that the posters were mostly discussing among themselves and did not seem to have any idea where your thread was supposed to be going. They also took exception to the manner in which you were interpreting the use of the Myers-Briggs test but you did not discuss this, only asserted your main points again.

In the end it did not look as though you were really inviting discussion so much as seeking validation.

Also, that other thread you mention is hilarious. Yours isn't.

TheStatutoryApe said:
You did not so much seem to be making discussion but rather simply stating your opinion, repeatedly. You'll note that the posters were mostly discussing among themselves and did not seem to have any idea where your thread was supposed to be going. They also took exception to the manner in which you were interpreting the use of the Myers-Briggs test but you did not discuss this, only asserted your main points again.

In the end it did not look as though you were really inviting discussion so much as seeking validation.

Yes, I agree.

The original post outlined an interesting experiment that might be done. You then claimed the results of this experiment proved your point. It might be better to actually do the experiment first.

In the end as others have mentioned, you failed to address points that were made by other posters. your position could be seen merely as idle speculation. Baseless speculation is something that does not sit too well at this forum.

Also, the "fail" thread has no scientific content and is located in general discussion for that reason - it is just chitchat/entertainment. Your thread was also placed in General Discussion but please note, that isn't a way to get around our posting guidlines. If a thread is scientific in nature and gets posted in GD, it gets moved to the appropriate scientific forum. If it doesn't meet the guidelines governing those forums, it gets shut down.

Why can't the rules be relaxed in the PF lounge section? Maybe the lounge section could serve as a platform for people to propose theories without a strong basis. This would enable others to help him/her in perfecting them or finding out critical flaws. Just a suggestion.

sganesh88 said:
Why can't the rules be relaxed in the PF lounge section? Maybe the lounge section could serve as a platform for people to propose theories without a strong basis. This would enable others to help him/her in perfecting them or finding out critical flaws. Just a suggestion.
We have an "Independent Research" forum for that.

The OP's thread was locked because he kept repeating the same thing over and over and would never explain why he thought what he was posting had merit or benefit, nothing. At that point, the thread is not progressing, so is locked.

sganesh88 said:
It would become a free-for-all and crackpot cesspool. It would lower the overall quality of PF.

We've had such a forum before and it was a disaster.

Evo said:
The OP's thread was locked because he kept repeating the same thing over and over and would never explain why he thought what he was posting had merit or benefit, nothing. At that point, the thread is not progressing, so is locked.
Right: even if we allowed against the mainstream content, that thread still would have been locked!

The guidelines aren't just about what issues can be discussed but also about how you can discuss them.

If you think about the attention i pay to the detail of the thread, and how it got locked away so easily. It seems so unfair. Have i done something wrong? How come a thread about picture goes unlocked, and my thread are locked. Gosh, people just don` t like me. I feel so sad.

duh dude, get a life. this self centered approach will land you in trouble sooner or later.

What are some common reasons for threads to be locked?

Threads may be locked if they violate community guidelines, contain inappropriate content, or if the discussion has gone off-topic.

How can I prevent my thread from being locked?

To avoid having your thread locked, make sure to follow community guidelines and stay on topic. Avoid using offensive language and be respectful of others' opinions.

Is there a way to appeal a locked thread?

In some cases, you may be able to appeal a locked thread by contacting the moderators and providing a valid reason for why the thread should be unlocked. However, this is not guaranteed to be successful.

What should I do if my thread is locked?

If your thread has been locked, you can try reaching out to the moderators for an explanation or clarification. You may also consider starting a new thread with a different approach or topic.

Can I prevent my thread from being locked in the future?

To prevent your threads from being locked in the future, make sure to carefully read and follow community guidelines, stay on topic, and be respectful of others' opinions. You may also want to check for any similar existing threads before creating a new one.