Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to backup Outlook ?

1. Jan 3, 2007 #1
    Hello,

I want to reinstall Windows Xp soon, as I got a virus and after cleaning the computer doesn't work as smooth as before. I gives some strange erros and sometimes it justs hangs up... I want to backup Outlook Express emails and settings before reinstall, and restore afterwards. Any help?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2007 #2

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There should be an archive feature in Outlook. You can export all of your emails to the archive, copy them to a cd then after reinstalling you can open the archive file.

4. Jan 3, 2007 #3
    Go to <<File>> <<Import & Export>>
    Select Export to File from Dialog
    Select Personal Folder File (.pst) from next dialog
    Select bits of Outlook you want to Copy in next dialog and click include subfolder checkbox.
    Enter File name (.pst) on next dialog
    Click <<Finish>>

When reinstalled select either
    <<File>> <<Open>> and the .pst folder that will append a new mailbox under the default one.
    or <<File>> <<Import & Export>>
    Select "From another programme or file" from the dialog
    Select Personal Folder File (.pst) from next dialog

5. Jan 4, 2007 #4
    Before you reinstall I would look to make sure you have gotten rid of any spyware that may have been on there as well. That is if doing that is more time economical than the reinstall. Spyware is the number one thing I have to clean on any of the computers I work on.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?