Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to be a good designer

1. Jun 26, 2006 #1
    Is it possible for a student who is not good at art to become a good engineering designer? How can we train ourselves to be a good designer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2006 #2

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

Being a good designer comes with experience and training (mentoring) IMO. Artistic skills have nothing to do with it. You are not talking about being a draftsman, you are talking about a designer. You simply need to be able to convey your ideas.

I'll stop now before I get on the soap box.

4. Jun 26, 2006 #3

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing to do with art. Creativity helps, but it's nothing whatsoever to do with art.

5. Jul 6, 2006 #4
    First principle,K.I.S.S.

6. Jul 7, 2006 #5
    how to become a good designer?....

Respected sir,
    Myself is an instrumentation engineering student, i want some tips related to designing aspects of instrumentation systems....
    I will be thankful to u, i u guide me in this direction......

bhagyesh patil.

7. Jul 7, 2006 #6

Clausius2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A good design engineer for a company is a design engineer who designs cool things BUT saves up money. Your boss will be happy then with you. :rofl:

8. Jul 7, 2006 #7

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Are you thinking of industrial design, which is more related to 'art' than engineering.

Raymond Lowey is considered the father of ID?
    http://www.raymondloewyfoundation.com/about/index.html

http://www.core77.com/

But there are designers of bridges and large structures, and that is mostly engineering, which as FredGarvin indicated takes experience and training, usually with supervision of a mentor.

Part of the training is the development of an intuitive sense about the product or system being designed, and what engineering and physics principles apply. A good designer needs a broad knowledge of mechanics and materials, and possibly electronics and electrical engineering if the product or system involves electronics or electrical power.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?