Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to be a good designer

1. Jun 26, 2006 #1
    Is it possible for a student who is not good at art to become a good engineering designer? How can we train ourselves to be a good designer?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 26, 2006 #2

Science Advisor

Being a good designer comes with experience and training (mentoring) IMO. Artistic skills have nothing to do with it. You are not talking about being a draftsman, you are talking about a designer. You simply need to be able to convey your ideas.

I'll stop now before I get on the soap box.
  4. Jun 26, 2006 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nothing to do with art. Creativity helps, but it's nothing whatsoever to do with art.
  5. Jul 6, 2006 #4
    First principle,K.I.S.S.
  6. Jul 7, 2006 #5
    how to become a good designer?....

Respected sir,
    Myself is an instrumentation engineering student, i want some tips related to designing aspects of instrumentation systems....
    I will be thankful to u, i u guide me in this direction......

bhagyesh patil.
  7. Jul 7, 2006 #6

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A good design engineer for a company is a design engineer who designs cool things BUT saves up money. Your boss will be happy then with you. :rofl:
  8. Jul 7, 2006 #7

Staff: Mentor

Are you thinking of industrial design, which is more related to 'art' than engineering.

Raymond Lowey is considered the father of ID?

But there are designers of bridges and large structures, and that is mostly engineering, which as FredGarvin indicated takes experience and training, usually with supervision of a mentor.

Part of the training is the development of an intuitive sense about the product or system being designed, and what engineering and physics principles apply. A good designer needs a broad knowledge of mechanics and materials, and possibly electronics and electrical engineering if the product or system involves electronics or electrical power.
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?