Maximizing Success: Strategies for Becoming a Hard Worker in Math and Physics

• Thread starter lubuntu
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Hard
In summary, to overcome a higher work load/difficulty in classwork than you are used to, try to be a hard worker, memorize concepts quickly, and focus on the goal at hand rather than the individual steps. There are also strategies such as GTD and studying things that interest you.
work is mostly about how you allocate your time. to save time, do not drink alcohol, or watch tv, or read novels, or gossip, or log on here.

Physics news on Phys.org
Align whatever you're doing with your values and if they are out of sync change one of them

well, you have to work at it! har har har.

mathwonk said:
work is mostly about how you allocate your time. to save time, do not drink alcohol, or watch tv, or read novels, or gossip, or log on here.

that is my only lamentation when in the trenches. no time for leisure reading.

Do what Paul Erdos did.

Bourbaki1123 said:
Do what Paul Erdos did.

What exactly is that? Amphetamines?

Bourbaki1123 said:
Do what Paul Erdos did.

Wow, he is scary and amazing

I rely on only the best: cocaine

physics girl phd said:
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Also part of working smart in math and physics... On your HW and notes:
Write clearly.
Don't skip steps.
Understand each step. Include a written explanation for critical steps (in notes and HW).
Carry your units (if units apply).
Analyze your result. Ask yourself if the number and units make sense. Even make written notes here... or graph a result to see if it makes sense.
Ask yourself... is this the ONLY way to do the problem, or is there another way? If you think there might be, try it out... see if you get the same result!

This is my favorite response. I have yet to earn my degree, however have studied enough in other areas to be able to say that the advice given above is priceless.

Lack of motivation, laziness, disinterest and the like, can sometimes stem from simply not understanding the material. As has been said before, there will be times when this is not the case and you simply are just not as interested in something, however, those times do not have to rob you of success.

The approach given in the quote encourages one to make a greater effort at understanding something. Sometimes we do not seek a greater understanding of things because of a lack of interest. This is where I believe the 'hard work' part comes in. If you make an effort to focus your efforts and attention on understanding something at a deeper level (often when you do not feel like doing so), you may find that you end up discovering something about it that will not only spark in you a greater interest, but also increase your chances of retaining the material.

This approach also has the added benefit of developing good habits to take with you as you move on in whatever you end up doing. Make genuine efforts to understand what you are doing and take the time to make sure that you are doing it right. Take on an attitude of excellence. This is most often a choice, not an ability, as I find that I do not always feel like it. Take control of your thoughts, and do not let the instability of your emotions rob you of opportunity.

-Robert