Should I Come Out as an Atheist to My Religious Family and Friends?

• Thread starter anon_question
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a person's struggle with their religious beliefs and their desire to come out as an atheist. They discuss their upbringing in a religious family, their questioning of their beliefs, and the potential consequences of openly rejecting their religion. They also mention the support available for atheists and the strong influence of religion in the US.
Sorry! said:
Religious belief is crackpottery. :) Can I say that without getting banned?

It would be a pity if saying that was a bannable offense.

Physics news on Phys.org
kldickson said:
It would be a pity if saying that was a bannable offense.
Really? What does bigotry have to do with physics? (And how does it not violate our guidelines on religious discussion?)

Hurkyl, there's a considerable distance between saying 'HURF DURF ICKY JOOZ' and saying 'Religion is founded on rather illogical premises and has been shown to be harmful'.

Or substitute the name of whatever religion you want to substitute in there - Christianity, Islam, Taoism, Tea-and-Crumpetism, etc.

Sorry! said:
Religious belief is crackpottery. :) Can I say that without getting banned?

It's only crackpottery if one tries to apply it to a scientific question. If one keeps it separate from matters of science, then it is simply religion or theology. The OP wasn't asking for a discussion of whether religion is justified or not, s/he seems to have already made up his/her mind on the matter and was only asking how to tell his/her parents/family/friends that his/her views differ quite a lot from theirs.

I concur. The OP's topic hasn't been addressed in quite some time. Thread closed.