1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to begin oscillation in steady state?

1. Sep 8, 2004 #1
    I need to find the initial conditions such than an underdamped harmonic oscillator will immediately begin steady-state motion under the time dependent force F = m f cosωt.

For the underdamped case:
    [tex]x(t) = ae^{-\gamma t}cos(\Omega t+\alpha)+\frac{f}{r}cos(\omega t-\theta)[/tex]

and if it matter, [tex]r^2 = (\omega^2_0-\omega^2)^2+4\gamma^2\omega^2[/tex]
    and [tex]\theta = Tan^{-1}\frac{2\gamma\omega}{\omega^2_0-\omega^2}
    [/tex]

I thought I would just have to find x0 and v0 such that the transient was 0, but that doesn't seem to be leading down the right track. What direction should my solution be heading?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2004 #2
    Why not just let x0=0 and v0=0? This should zero out the transient portion of the solution and leave the driving force intact.

4. Sep 8, 2004 #3
    Makes sense to me, but the back of the book doesn't seem to agree. It has [tex]x_0=\frac{f (\omega^2_0-\omega^2)}{r^2}[/tex] and [tex]v_0=\frac{2\gamma\omega^2f}{r^2}[/tex].

5. Sep 8, 2004 #4
    oh. take x(0) and x'(0) and let a = 0. If a = 0 then the transient solution is immediate null, but you'll see x0 and v0 are not. You'll have to subtitute for theta as well.

6. Sep 9, 2004 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It was a good start. Let [tex]a=0[/tex]. Find x(0) and v(0). You have
    [tex]x(0)=\frac{f}{r}cos(\theta ) \mbox{ and }v(0)=\frac{f\omega}{r}\sin(\theta ) [/tex], use that
    [tex] cos(\theta ) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+tan^2(\theta )}}\mbox{, }sin(\theta )=\frac{tan(\theta )}{\sqrt{1+tan^2(\theta )}} \mbox{ and } tan(tan^{-1}(\theta))=\theta [/tex].

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?