How to begin oscillation in steady state?

In summary: If you let a=0, then the transient solution is immediate null, but you'll see x0 and v0 are not. You'll have to subtitute for theta as well.
bullet_ballet
I need to find the initial conditions such than an underdamped harmonic oscillator will immediately begin steady-state motion under the time dependent force F = m f cosωt.

For the underdamped case:
[tex]x(t) = ae^{-\gamma t}cos(\Omega t+\alpha)+\frac{f}{r}cos(\omega t-\theta)[/tex]

and if it matter, [tex]r^2 = (\omega^2_0-\omega^2)^2+4\gamma^2\omega^2[/tex]
and [tex]\theta = Tan^{-1}\frac{2\gamma\omega}{\omega^2_0-\omega^2}
[/tex]

I thought I would just have to find x0 and v0 such that the transient was 0, but that doesn't seem to be leading down the right track. What direction should my solution be heading?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not just let x0=0 and v0=0? This should zero out the transient portion of the solution and leave the driving force intact.

genxhis said:
Why not just let x0=0 and v0=0? This should zero out the transient portion of the solution and leave the driving force intact.

Makes sense to me, but the back of the book doesn't seem to agree. It has [tex]x_0=\frac{f (\omega^2_0-\omega^2)}{r^2}[/tex] and [tex]v_0=\frac{2\gamma\omega^2f}{r^2}[/tex].

oh. take x(0) and x'(0) and let a = 0. If a = 0 then the transient solution is immediate null, but you'll see x0 and v0 are not. You'll have to subtitute for theta as well.

bullet_ballet said:
I need to find the initial conditions such than an underdamped harmonic oscillator will immediately begin steady-state motion under the time dependent force F = m f cosωt.

For the underdamped case:
[tex]x(t) = ae^{-\gamma t}cos(\Omega t+\alpha)+\frac{f}{r}cos(\omega t-\theta)[/tex]

and if it matter, [tex]r^2 = (\omega^2_0-\omega^2)^2+4\gamma^2\omega^2[/tex]
and [tex]\theta = Tan^{-1}\frac{2\gamma\omega}{\omega^2_0-\omega^2}
[/tex]

I thought I would just have to find x0 and v0 such that the transient was 0, but that doesn't seem to be leading down the right track. What direction should my solution be heading?

It was a good start. Let [tex]a=0[/tex]. Find x(0) and v(0). You have
[tex]x(0)=\frac{f}{r}cos(\theta ) \mbox{ and }v(0)=\frac{f\omega}{r}\sin(\theta ) [/tex], use that
[tex] cos(\theta ) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+tan^2(\theta )}}\mbox{, }sin(\theta )=\frac{tan(\theta )}{\sqrt{1+tan^2(\theta )}} \mbox{ and } tan(tan^{-1}(\theta))=\theta [/tex].

ehild

1. How is steady state defined in oscillation?

Steady state in oscillation refers to a state where the amplitude and frequency of the oscillation remain constant over time. In other words, the system has reached a stable equilibrium and is not continuously changing.

2. What is the importance of beginning oscillation in steady state?

Beginning oscillation in steady state is important because it allows for accurate measurements and analysis of the system. It also ensures that the system is not affected by any transient behavior that may occur during the initial stages of oscillation.

3. How can one ensure steady state in an oscillating system?

To ensure steady state in an oscillating system, the system must be given enough time to reach equilibrium. This can be achieved by providing sufficient energy to the system and reducing any external disturbances that may affect its behavior.

4. What are the different methods for initiating oscillation in steady state?

There are various methods for initiating oscillation in steady state, including using an external force or perturbation, adjusting the parameters of the system, or using a feedback control system.

5. Are there any drawbacks to beginning oscillation in steady state?

One potential drawback of beginning oscillation in steady state is that it may take longer for the system to reach equilibrium compared to starting with a non-steady state. Additionally, external disturbances or changes in system parameters may affect the stability of the oscillation in steady state.