How to build a DC->AC converter using resistors capacitors and diodes (no inductors)

In summary, you can make a DC-AC converter using resistors, capacitors, and diodes (no inductors). Start by Googling 555 projects and building one yourself.
aeftimia
How to build a DC-->AC converter using resistors capacitors and diodes (no inductors)

I have been trying to learn electronics (I am familiar with the principles, just have no experience designing complex circuits to fulfill purposes), so I went to RadioShack, got myself:

breadboard
assorted TO-92 transistors (pnp and npn)
resistors
diodes
capacitors
LEDs
D-battery holder (so my power source is 2 D batteries in series--1.5V each, 3V total)

They did not have inductors. I have been trying to make a DC-AC converter for a few days and I finally give up. I just cannot understand some of the diagrams on the wikipedia article on inverters.

I really do not care what frequency it oscillates at at this point (although slow enough that I could see a light flicker would be nice) or what waveform comes out (I would prefer a sine wave, but I recall being able to smooth out a square wave with a capacitor.)

Could someone recommend a simple design using my equally simple components. Or if the only way to do it is with some complicated design--please explain how it works.

Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org

I think that if you are trying to learn electronics with little training, knowledge, or experience in that area, a power electronics project might not be an ideal first project.

Perhaps building a simple digital logic circuit, a multistage amplifier, or a radio or infrared receiver would be a better choice.

Last edited:

aeftimia, You might make a free-running multivibrator. You control its on/off time (frequency) with different resistors and capacitors. It generates a square wave. Then you could filter that with a capacitance/resistance network to get a smoother wave. Except it may not output enough power to drive a led. So you would have to amplify that signal to drive your load. Use Google and Wiki for these basic circuits. Good experimenting.

I'd advise you to get a few 555 or 556 timers.

They are a versatile block with good drive capacity and will happily drive small lamps or LED's.

and lots of hobbyist information out there.

start googling 555 hobbyist

i used to frequent a forum called discovercircuits.com
lots of beginners ask questions there there
and the folks are helpful
see a thread called "stereo" by danud
you might want to build yourself a hifi instead.

I know you can make a multi-vibrator with two NPN or PNP transistors. I don't remember the exact circuit, it is hooked up like a differential pair with the collector of one transistor feedback to the base of the other transistor ( it is positive feedback) through a resistor with the cap to ground or something like that. That is to form a delay and use for setting the frequency of toggling. Someone should know what I am talking about and have the correct circuit.

Read up 555 and buy a book on project using 555 is a very good idea also. I actually design and build a burglar alarm using 555 and used in my own car...I actually used 556, the dual version of 555.

Thank you. After some time studying the circuit (and watching it with Falstad's impressive circuit simulator) I have a working astable multivibrator. That is perfect. I will work on changing the waveform next.

Thanks again!

1. How do I determine the appropriate resistor and capacitor values for a DC->AC converter?

The values of the resistors and capacitors used in a DC->AC converter depend on the desired output voltage and frequency. You can use the formula R = 1/2πfC to calculate the resistor value, where R is the resistance in ohms, f is the desired frequency in hertz, and C is the capacitance in farads.

2. Can I use any type of diode in a DC->AC converter?

In general, you can use any type of diode in a DC->AC converter as long as it can handle the desired output voltage and frequency. However, it is recommended to use fast-recovery diodes or Schottky diodes for better efficiency.

3. Do I need to include any additional components in my DC->AC converter circuit?

In addition to the resistors, capacitors, and diodes, you may also need to include a voltage regulator or voltage multiplier circuit to ensure a stable output voltage. A transformer may also be necessary to step up or step down the voltage.

4. How can I improve the efficiency of my DC->AC converter?

To improve the efficiency of your DC->AC converter, you can use higher quality components, such as low ESR capacitors, and reduce the number of stages in your circuit. Additionally, carefully selecting the switching frequency and using a feedback control system can also help increase efficiency.

5. Is it safe to build a DC->AC converter using resistors, capacitors, and diodes?

As with any electronic circuit, it is important to take proper safety precautions when building a DC->AC converter. Make sure to use components that can handle the desired voltage and power, and always test the circuit carefully before connecting it to a power source. It is also recommended to have a fuse or other overcurrent protection in the circuit to prevent damage in case of a malfunction.