How to build a Raman detector?

Main Question or Discussion Point

if you filter completely the relaigh scattering, could a solar panel detect a raman signal?

Answers and Replies

If I were trying to make a Raman setup on the cheap and had plenty of time to scan a sample, I think I would wavelength disperse the beam and scan a photodiode across it. Using a photodiode has the advantage of detailed spec sheets and sample circuit diagrams many places on the internet.

so a solar panel won't work?

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
so a solar panel won't work?
A solar cell is a photodiode. A photodiode might not be the best detector though.

Most commercial Raman spectrometers use CCDs (charge coupled devices) for detection, and these are relatively cheap and abundantly available: they are widely used in digital cameras. They are also fast. If you disperse the scattered light with a diffraction grating, a CCD array can easily detect a decent fraction of the relevant spectrum simultaneously, as opposed to sweeping the diffracted light past a single photodiode.

In fact (...google google google...) Yep:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/ph400108p
I thought I remembered someone doing this already: they used their smartphone camera as a detector for a homemade Raman spectrometer.

i bought a diffraction grating from a website named home science tools, this is a picture of it

My Snapshot.jpg

any reason it won't work?

TeethWhitener
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A diffraction grating is not a detector. It simply disperses the different wavelengths of light.

Here's a youtuber who built a DIY version of a Raman detector:

As you can see, there's more to it than what you think.

i mean will the diffraction grating separate the raman signal from relaigh scattering?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
You didn't watch the video, did you?

i did watch the video. can a homemade raman spectrometer detect carbon nanotubes?

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
I don't think you did watch the video. If you did, you'd know that your solar panel plus diffraction grating is woefully inadequate for what you want to do.

You have a habit of ignoring responses to your messages and answers to your questions. That is not just wasteful and ineffective, but it makes people less likely to respond to you.

no, i mean is there any way to build a homemade raman spectroscope that detects carbon nanotubes other than use a solar panel and diffraction grating. it doesn't have to use a solar panel and diffraction grating. it can use any other components instead. it uses something other than a solar panel and diffraction grating instead. i don't think you understood that question.

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2019 Award
Again, you show no signs of having watched that video. Do you have a HeNe laser? Do you have a notch filter? The only equipment you've mentioned is solar panels and diffraction gratings - now you say you won't use it, but you won't say what you will use. I think the only possible answer is "No, you won't be able to do this."

jim mcnamara
Mentor
This thread seems to have gone into deadlock. Thanks everyone, but it is time to close this thread