How to build a Raman detector?

In summary, a solar panel won't work to detect a Raman signal. A diffraction grating might be able to detect a Raman signal, but it's not a good detector.
David lopez
if you filter completely the relaigh scattering, could a solar panel detect a raman signal?

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
Physics news on Phys.org
If I were trying to make a Raman setup on the cheap and had plenty of time to scan a sample, I think I would wavelength disperse the beam and scan a photodiode across it. Using a photodiode has the advantage of detailed spec sheets and sample circuit diagrams many places on the internet.

so a solar panel won't work?

David lopez said:
so a solar panel won't work?
A solar cell is a photodiode. A photodiode might not be the best detector though.

Most commercial Raman spectrometers use CCDs (charge coupled devices) for detection, and these are relatively cheap and abundantly available: they are widely used in digital cameras. They are also fast. If you disperse the scattered light with a diffraction grating, a CCD array can easily detect a decent fraction of the relevant spectrum simultaneously, as opposed to sweeping the diffracted light past a single photodiode.

In fact (...google google google...) Yep:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/full/10.1021/ph400108p
I thought I remembered someone doing this already: they used their smartphone camera as a detector for a homemade Raman spectrometer.

Likes berkeman
i bought a diffraction grating from a website named home science tools, this is a picture of it

My Snapshot.jpg

any reason it won't work?

A diffraction grating is not a detector. It simply disperses the different wavelengths of light.

Here's a youtuber who built a DIY version of a Raman detector:

As you can see, there's more to it than what you think.

i mean will the diffraction grating separate the raman signal from relaigh scattering?

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
You didn't watch the video, did you?

Likes davenn
i did watch the video. can a homemade raman spectrometer detect carbon nanotubes?

• Sad
Likes weirdoguy
I don't think you did watch the video. If you did, you'd know that your solar panel plus diffraction grating is woefully inadequate for what you want to do.

You have a habit of ignoring responses to your messages and answers to your questions. That is not just wasteful and ineffective, but it makes people less likely to respond to you.

no, i mean is there any way to build a homemade raman spectroscope that detects carbon nanotubes other than use a solar panel and diffraction grating. it doesn't have to use a solar panel and diffraction grating. it can use any other components instead. it uses something other than a solar panel and diffraction grating instead. i don't think you understood that question.

• Skeptical
  • Sad
Likes davenn and weirdoguy
Again, you show no signs of having watched that video. Do you have a HeNe laser? Do you have a notch filter? The only equipment you've mentioned is solar panels and diffraction gratings - now you say you won't use it, but you won't say what you will use. I think the only possible answer is "No, you won't be able to do this."

Likes jim mcnamara, davenn and weirdoguy
This thread seems to have gone into deadlock. Thanks everyone, but it is time to close this thread

1. What is a Raman detector and how does it work?

A Raman detector is a scientific instrument used to measure the scattering of light by molecules. It works by shining a laser onto a sample and measuring the scattered light to determine the molecular composition of the sample.

2. What materials are needed to build a Raman detector?

The materials needed to build a Raman detector include a laser source, a spectrometer, a detector, a sample holder, and various optical components such as lenses and mirrors.

3. What are the important considerations when building a Raman detector?

Some important considerations when building a Raman detector include the choice of laser wavelength, the sensitivity and resolution of the spectrometer, the type of detector used, and the design of the sample holder and optical components.

4. How do you calibrate a Raman detector?

To calibrate a Raman detector, a known standard sample is used to determine the accuracy and precision of the instrument. The Raman spectrum of the standard sample is compared to its known spectrum, and adjustments can be made to the instrument if necessary.

5. Are there any safety precautions to be aware of when building a Raman detector?

Yes, there are several safety precautions to be aware of when building a Raman detector. The laser used should be handled with caution to avoid eye damage, and proper ventilation should be in place when working with potentially hazardous samples. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines for handling and disposing of chemicals used in the process.