Can a High-Efficiency Resistojet Be Built for a Science Fair Project?

• Thread starter Ian Malcolm
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Build
In summary, a resistojet is a type of spacecraft propulsion system that heats a non-reactive fluid using electricity and shoots it out of a nozzle. It has been used since the 1950s and there are examples and resources available for building one. It is a high efficiency option for spacecraft propulsion, but the thrust is relatively small.
Ian Malcolm
Can I build a resistojet? How?
I am in tenth grade and I want to make it for Science Fair.
A resistojet takes a non-reactive fluid, heats it up using a filament and electricity. The fluid is heated and shot out of a nozzle. Can something like this be built? Can you guys give me some advice? The thrust is small but it is high efficiency, usually for spacecraft propulsion.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Even better, you can buy one! See link:
http://microsat.sm.bmstu.ru/e-library/SSTL/Subsys_NitrousRJet_HQ.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Ian Malcolm said:
Can I build a resistojet? How?
I am in tenth grade and I want to make it for Science Fair.
A resistojet takes a non-reactive fluid, heats it up using a filament and electricity. The fluid is heated and shot out of a nozzle. Can something like this be built? Can you guys give me some advice? The thrust is small but it is high efficiency, usually for spacecraft propulsion.
Resistojets have been around since the 1950s.

For examples see - http://www.lr.tudelft.nl/en/organisation/departments-and-chairs/space-engineering/space-systems-engineering/expertise-areas/space-propulsion/propulsion-research/thermal-thrusters/water-resistojet/hoole-design/

www.its.caltech.edu/~ae121/ae121/Resistojet_Project.pdf[/URL]

[url]http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19710012179_1971012179.pdf[/url] (2.4 MB, use 'save taget as')

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like a sophisticated put put boat design...

Okay thanks for telling me how incredibly easy this is.

1. What materials are needed to build a resistojet?

To build a resistojet, you will need a resistojet engine, a power supply, resistive heating elements, a propellant tank, a nozzle, and a control system. Other materials such as wires, connectors, and insulation may also be necessary.

2. How does a resistojet work?

A resistojet works by using resistive heating elements to heat a propellant, typically a gas such as hydrogen or ammonia. The heated propellant is then expelled through a nozzle, creating thrust. The amount of thrust can be controlled by varying the amount of power supplied to the heating elements.

3. What is the difference between a resistojet and a traditional rocket engine?

The main difference between a resistojet and a traditional rocket engine is the method of thrust generation. While a traditional rocket engine uses chemical reactions to create thrust, a resistojet uses resistive heating to heat a propellant and produce thrust. Additionally, resistojets are typically more efficient and can operate for longer durations compared to traditional rocket engines.

4. Can a resistojet be used for space propulsion?

Yes, resistojets are commonly used for space propulsion, particularly for small satellites and spacecraft. They are lightweight, efficient, and can provide precise control over thrust, making them ideal for maneuvering and controlling the position of spacecraft in space.

5. What are the advantages of using a resistojet over other types of rocket engines?

Some advantages of using a resistojet include higher efficiency, longer operating time, and precise control over thrust. Additionally, resistojets do not require complex fuel systems and can use a variety of propellants, making them versatile and cost-effective. They are also relatively simple to construct and maintain compared to other types of rocket engines.