Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate 10% NH4OH equiv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extra OH

1. Aug 11, 2012 #1
    How to calculate 10% NH4OH eqv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extra OH?

Hi, I'm wanting to make a solution of NaOH that has the same neutralizing power per quantity as 10% w/w NH4OH. Given that a 10% solution of both will have an equal amount of dissociated OH, but that NaOH will release additional OH as it is consumed, how should I go about this? Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 13, 2012 #2
    Re: How to calculate 10% NH4OH equiv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extr

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a 10% solution." In order to answer this question, you must first know the molarity of the solutions you want to use.
    This is an acid dissociation problem, usually covered in general chemistry 3. If you're not familiar with dissociation constants and equilibrium, it could be a bit confusing for you.

4. Aug 14, 2012 #3
    Re: How to calculate 10% NH4OH equiv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extr

10% NH4OH, 90% water, w/w. I'd like to know how to make a solution of NaOH that has comparable neutralizing power, without resulting in PH spikes from additional OH that is released.

5. Aug 15, 2012 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

No problem with preparing solution able to neutralize identical amount of acid (simple stoichiometry and concentration conversion problem, similar to the ones explained here: http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation, you just need to convert molarity to percent concentration), but you can't expect identical pH, it will be much higher in the NaOH solution.

6. Aug 15, 2012 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Re: How to calculate 10% NH4OH eqv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extra

You must have the NH4OH solution and the NaOH solution reversed. There is no pH spike during neutralization, just a smooth transition from basic to neutrality. Near the neutralization point the pH changes rapidly though. Perhaps that is the spike you are referring to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook