How to calculate 10% NH4OH equiv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extra OH

• Thread starter Delicieuxz
  • Start date
How to calculate 10% NH4OH eqv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extra OH?

Hi, I'm wanting to make a solution of NaOH that has the same neutralizing power per quantity as 10% w/w NH4OH. Given that a 10% solution of both will have an equal amount of dissociated OH, but that NaOH will release additional OH as it is consumed, how should I go about this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Re: How to calculate 10% NH4OH equiv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extr

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a 10% solution." In order to answer this question, you must first know the molarity of the solutions you want to use.
This is an acid dissociation problem, usually covered in general chemistry 3. If you're not familiar with dissociation constants and equilibrium, it could be a bit confusing for you.

Re: How to calculate 10% NH4OH equiv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extr

10% NH4OH, 90% water, w/w. I'd like to know how to make a solution of NaOH that has comparable neutralizing power, without resulting in PH spikes from additional OH that is released.

Borek

Mentor

No problem with preparing solution able to neutralize identical amount of acid (simple stoichiometry and concentration conversion problem, similar to the ones explained here: http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation, you just need to convert molarity to percent concentration), but you can't expect identical pH, it will be much higher in the NaOH solution.

chemisttree

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Re: How to calculate 10% NH4OH eqv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extra

Hi, I'm wanting to make a solution of NaOH that has the same neutralizing power per quantity as 10% w/w NH4OH. Given that a 10% solution of both will have an equal amount of dissociated OH, but that NaOH will release additional OH as it is consumed, how should I go about this? Thanks.
You must have the NH4OH solution and the NaOH solution reversed. There is no pH spike during neutralization, just a smooth transition from basic to neutrality. Near the neutralization point the pH changes rapidly though. Perhaps that is the spike you are referring to?

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads