Calculating 10% NaOH eqv. to 10% NH4OH

• Thread starter Delicieuxz
  • Start date
In summary, you would need to make a NaOH solution with a higher concentration than 10% and then convert to a 10% solution.
Delicieuxz
How to calculate 10% NH4OH eqv solution of NaOH, taking into consideration extra OH?

Hi, I'm wanting to make a solution of NaOH that has the same neutralizing power per quantity as 10% w/w NH4OH. Given that a 10% solution of both will have an equal amount of dissociated OH, but that NaOH will release additional OH as it is consumed, how should I go about this? Thanks.

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "a 10% solution." In order to answer this question, you must first know the molarity of the solutions you want to use.
This is an acid dissociation problem, usually covered in general chemistry 3. If you're not familiar with dissociation constants and equilibrium, it could be a bit confusing for you.

10% NH4OH, 90% water, w/w. I'd like to know how to make a solution of NaOH that has comparable neutralizing power, without resulting in PH spikes from additional OH that is released.

No problem with preparing solution able to neutralize identical amount of acid (simple stoichiometry and concentration conversion problem, similar to the ones explained here: http://www.titrations.info/titration-calculation, you just need to convert molarity to percent concentration), but you can't expect identical pH, it will be much higher in the NaOH solution.

Delicieuxz said:
Hi, I'm wanting to make a solution of NaOH that has the same neutralizing power per quantity as 10% w/w NH4OH. Given that a 10% solution of both will have an equal amount of dissociated OH, but that NaOH will release additional OH as it is consumed, how should I go about this? Thanks.

You must have the NH4OH solution and the NaOH solution reversed. There is no pH spike during neutralization, just a smooth transition from basic to neutrality. Near the neutralization point the pH changes rapidly though. Perhaps that is the spike you are referring to?

1. How do you calculate the equivalent weight of NaOH?

To calculate the equivalent weight of NaOH, divide the molar mass of NaOH (40 g/mol) by the number of hydroxide ions in one molecule (1). This gives an equivalent weight of 40 g/mol.

2. What is the equivalent weight of NH4OH?

The equivalent weight of NH4OH is calculated the same way as NaOH. The molar mass of NH4OH is 35 g/mol and it contains one hydroxide ion, so the equivalent weight is 35 g/mol.

3. How do you convert a 10% solution of NaOH to an equivalent 10% solution of NH4OH?

To convert a 10% solution of NaOH to an equivalent 10% solution of NH4OH, you need to calculate the moles of NaOH in the 10% solution and then use the molar ratio between NaOH and NH4OH (1:1) to determine the amount of NH4OH needed for the same number of moles. This will give you a 10% solution of NH4OH with the same equivalent weight as the 10% solution of NaOH.

4. How do you determine the concentration of a solution in equivalent units?

To determine the concentration of a solution in equivalent units, you need to know the molar concentration of the solute (in mol/L) and the equivalent weight of the solute (in g/mol). The equivalent concentration is calculated by dividing the molar concentration by the equivalent weight.

5. What is the purpose of calculating equivalent concentrations?

Calculating equivalent concentrations allows for a more accurate comparison of solutions with different solutes. It takes into account the number of reactive units (equivalents) in a given amount of solute, rather than just the mass or moles of the solute. This is important in chemical reactions where the number of reactive units is crucial for determining the correct stoichiometry.