How to calculate beam problems

• Thread starter Rambo12
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Beam
In summary, the moment of inertia for a beam can be calculated using the formula I = (bh^3)/12, while the bending moment can be calculated using M = wL^2/8. To determine the maximum deflection, use the formula δmax = (5wL^4)/(384EI). A simply supported beam can only resist vertical forces, while a cantilever beam can resist both vertical and horizontal forces. To determine the shear force and bending moment diagrams for a beam, analyze the loads and supports and calculate the reactions, then plot the values along the length of the beam.
Rambo12
I am having problems solving this questions and I would appreciate it if someone teaches me step by step as I have no one to teach me at home.

Free diagrams would be really helpful too.

thanks everyone.

6pw4N.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for a beam?

The moment of inertia for a beam can be calculated using the formula I = (bh^3)/12, where b is the base width of the beam and h is the height of the beam.

2. How do I find the bending moment for a beam?

The bending moment for a beam can be calculated using the formula M = wL^2/8, where w is the distributed load and L is the length of the beam.

3. How do I determine the maximum deflection of a beam?

The maximum deflection of a beam can be calculated using the formula δmax = (5wL^4)/(384EI), where w is the distributed load, L is the length of the beam, E is the elastic modulus of the material, and I is the moment of inertia.

4. What is the difference between a simply supported beam and a cantilever beam?

A simply supported beam is supported at both ends and can only resist vertical forces, while a cantilever beam is supported at one end and can resist both vertical and horizontal forces.

5. How do I determine the shear force and bending moment diagrams for a beam?

The shear force and bending moment diagrams for a beam can be determined by analyzing the loads and supports acting on the beam and calculating the reactions, then plotting the values along the length of the beam.