Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate parameters of shifted exponential density from a set of measurements

1. Apr 19, 2010 #1
    I have a density function:

f(t) = L * e-L(t-t0) * u(t-t0)

where u(t) is the unit step function.

And I have a column vector X, which is randomly chosen samples from f(t):

X = [x1 x2 ... xn]T

How can I estimate the unknown values t0 and L from this X vector?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2010 #2
    Re: How to calculate parameters of shifted exponential density from a set of measurem

You can use Bayes' theorem to calculate a (posterior) probability density function f(L, t0 | X) for the parameters L and t0 given the vector of sample times X:

If we call
    f(t | L, t0) = L * e-L(t-t0) * u(t-t0)

and
    f(X | L, t0) = f(x1 | L, t0)*f(x2 | L, t0)*...*f(xn | L, t0)

We can calculate the posterior PDF

f(L, t0 | X) = f(X | L, t0) / K

where K is a nornlization constant
    [tex]K = \int_{L=0}^{\infty} \int_{t_0=0}^{\infty} f(X | L, t0) dt_0 dL[/tex]

(above I have assumed a homogeneous prior distributions for L and t0)

You can then e..g. calculate expectations of L and t0 from f(L, t0 | X)

[tex]\hat{L} = \int_{L=0}^{\infty} \int_{t_0=0}^{\infty} L* f(L, t0 | X) dt_0 dL[/tex]
    [tex]\hat{t_0} = \int_{L=0}^{\infty} \int_{t_0=0}^{\infty} t_0* f(L, t0 | X) dt_0 dL[/tex]

The integrals are probably difficult to solve analytically, but you can solve them numarically given your X-vector.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook