How to calculate the probability of error in an AWGN channel?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of probabilities of error in binary input signals over an AWGN channel. The probability of error is given by the Q-function, which can be plotted for different values of noise variance. In the case of more than two input signals, the modulation technique and decision boundaries between signal points need to be considered. The Q-function represents the probability of error when transmitting a signal over an AWGN channel, and can be used to determine the closest signal point to the received signal.
Nur Ziadah
Hello, I found a paper on the calculation of probabilities of error. However, I didn't know how to plot the graph using equation 3 and 4.
These are the list of equations:
upload_2018-4-26_13-1-2.png

upload_2018-4-26_13-1-42.png

And this is the graph:
upload_2018-4-26_13-3-20.png

I hope that anyone in this forum may guide me to plot this graph.
Thank you.

Attachments

• upload_2018-4-26_13-1-2.png
    upload_2018-4-26_13-1-2.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 1,529
  • upload_2018-4-26_13-1-42.png
    upload_2018-4-26_13-1-42.png
    19.8 KB · Views: 2,052
  • upload_2018-4-26_13-3-20.png
    upload_2018-4-26_13-3-20.png
    33.2 KB · Views: 1,642
Physics news on Phys.org
This thread fits better in the Electrical Engineering forum.

It is simpler to start with simplest case of binary input signals. In this case, you have two input signals ##x_1## and ##x_2=-x_1##. The received signal over AWGN channel is given by ##y=\pm x_1+n##, depending on which signal was actually transmitted. In this scheme, both signals are on the real line, and if they are equiprobable, then the decision boundary is at 0. This means that, the detector decides that the transmitted signal is ##x_1## if the received signal ##y>0##, and it decides ##x_2=-x_1## if ##y<0##. If ##y=0##, then the receiver makes a fair coin guess. In this case, the probability or error is given by:

[tex]P(E)=P(E/x_1)p(x_1)+P(E/x_2)p(x_2)[/tex]

where ##P(E/x_k)## is the probability of error given ##x_k## was transmitted, ##p(x_k)## is the probability of transmitting ##x_k##. Let's compute ##P(E/x_2)##:

[tex]P(E/x_2)=\text{Pr}\left[y>0/x_2\right]=\int_{0}^{\infty}p(y/x_2)\,dy=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma_n^2}}\int_{0}^{\infty}\exp\left(-\frac{1}{2\sigma_n^2}(y+x_1)^2\right)\,dy=Q\left[x_1/\sigma_n\right][/tex]

where ##Q[.]## is the Q-function. If you assume that ##x_1=1##, then the conditional probability of error can be written as

[tex]P(E/x_2)=Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right][/tex]

You will get the same result for ##P(E/x_1)##. So, assuming that ##p(x_1)=p(x_2)=0.5##, the total probability of error will be

[tex]P(E)=0.5\times Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right]+0.5\times Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right]=Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right][/tex].

which can be plotted for different values of ##\sigma_n^2##. In the case of more than 2 signals, you need to know the modulation technique (MPSK, MFSK, ... etc), and the decision boundaries between the signal points in the signal constellation. For that, refer to one of the textbooks like Digital Communications for John Proakis. But the steps are almost the same.

EngWiPy said:
This thread fits better in the Electrical Engineering forum.

It is simpler to start with simplest case of binary input signals. In this case, you have two input signals ##x_1## and ##x_2=-x_1##. The received signal over AWGN channel is given by ##y=\pm x_1+n##, depending on which signal was actually transmitted. In this scheme, both signals are on the real line, and if they are equiprobable, then the decision boundary is at 0. This means that, the detector decides that the transmitted signal is ##x_1## if the received signal ##y>0##, and it decides ##x_2=-x_1## if ##y<0##. If ##y=0##, then the receiver makes a fair coin guess. In this case, the probability or error is given by:

[tex]P(E)=P(E/x_1)p(x_1)+P(E/x_2)p(x_2)[/tex]

where ##P(E/x_k)## is the probability of error given ##x_k## was transmitted, ##p(x_k)## is the probability of transmitting ##x_k##. Let's compute ##P(E/x_2)##:

[tex]P(E/x_2)=\text{Pr}\left[y>0/x_2\right]=\int_{0}^{\infty}p(y/x_2)\,dy=\frac{1}{\sqrt{2\pi\sigma_n^2}}\int_{0}^{\infty}\exp\left(-\frac{1}{2\sigma_n^2}(y+x_1)^2\right)\,dy=Q\left[x_1/\sigma_n\right][/tex]

where ##Q[.]## is the Q-function. If you assume that ##x_1=1##, then the conditional probability of error can be written as

[tex]P(E/x_2)=Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right][/tex]

You will get the same result for ##P(E/x_1)##. So, assuming that ##p(x_1)=p(x_2)=0.5##, the total probability of error will be

[tex]P(E)=0.5\times Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right]+0.5\times Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right]=Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right][/tex].

which can be plotted for different values of ##\sigma_n^2##. In the case of more than 2 signals, you need to know the modulation technique (MPSK, MFSK, ... etc), and the decision boundaries between the signal points in the signal constellation. For that, refer to one of the textbooks like Digital Communications for John Proakis. But the steps are almost the same.

Thank you EngWiPy for the explanation...I am sorry if my question is too simple. Is the [tex]Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right][/tex] same with the equation 4? Could you explain me what is the meaning of y and xi in the equation 4?
Thanks a lot sifu ;)

Eq. 4 is the distribution of the received signal ##y##, given that signal ##x_i## was transmitted, where ##x_i## can be any of the ##M## available input signals. So, what we want to find is, for a given received signal, what signal was transmitted, right? To find this, we need to find the signal that has the maximum conditional probability ##p(x_i/y)=\frac{p(y/x_i)\,p(x_i)}{p(y)}## using Bayes rule. But since all signals have the same probabilities ##p(x_i)##, and ##p(y)## is common to all possible transmitted signals, the problem is reduced to finding the signal with the maximum ##p(y/x_i)##.

The received signal is ##y=x_i+n##, where ##n## is an additive white Gaussian noise with zero mean and variance ##\sigma_n^2##. So, for a given ##x_i##, ##y## becomes a Gaussian random variable with mean ##x_i## and a variance ##\sigma_n^2##. Eq. 4 describes just this. How to find the transmitted signal that maximizes ##p(y/x_i)##? Simple, find the signal point that is closest to ##y##. Now, how to quantify the error probability, you need to follow the steps I showed.

So, to answer your question: Eq. 4 is the distribution of the received signal ##y##, given ##x_i## was transmitted. Which means that, if you transmit ##x_i## over an AWGN channel a large number of times, the observed received signal at the receiver will follow a Gaussian distribution centered around ##x_i##, with a variance equals to the noise variance. ##Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right]## is that quantity that measures the probability of error. That is, if we transmit ##x_i## a large number of times, how many times from the total times ##y## won't be closest to ##x_i##, which results in erroneous decision.

Hope this helps.

EngWiPy said:
Eq. 4 is the distribution of the received signal ##y##, given that signal ##x_i## was transmitted, where ##x_i## can be any of the ##M## available input signals. So, what we want to find is, for a given received signal, what signal was transmitted, right? To find this, we need to find the signal that has the maximum conditional probability ##p(x_i/y)=\frac{p(y/x_i)\,p(x_i)}{p(y)}## using Bayes rule. But since all signals have the same probabilities ##p(x_i)##, and ##p(y)## is common to all possible transmitted signals, the problem is reduced to finding the signal with the maximum ##p(y/x_i)##.

The received signal is ##y=x_i+n##, where ##n## is an additive white Gaussian noise with zero mean and variance ##\sigma_n^2##. So, for a given ##x_i##, ##y## becomes a Gaussian random variable with mean ##x_i## and a variance ##\sigma_n^2##. Eq. 4 describes just this. How to find the transmitted signal that maximizes ##p(y/x_i)##? Simple, find the signal point that is closest to ##y##. Now, how to quantify the error probability, you need to follow the steps I showed.

So, to answer your question: Eq. 4 is the distribution of the received signal ##y##, given ##x_i## was transmitted. Which means that, if you transmit ##x_i## over an AWGN channel a large number of times, the observed received signal at the receiver will follow a Gaussian distribution centered around ##x_i##, with a variance equals to the noise variance. ##Q\left[\frac{1}{\sqrt{\sigma_n^2}}\right]## is that quantity that measures the probability of error. That is, if we transmit ##x_i## a large number of times, how many times from the total times ##y## won't be closest to ##x_i##, which results in erroneous decision.

Hope this helps.
Thank you so EngWiPy..I get it now.

1. What is an AWGN channel?

An AWGN (Additive White Gaussian Noise) channel is a type of communication channel that is characterized by the presence of random noise that follows a Gaussian distribution. This noise is added to the transmitted signal, which can cause errors in the received signal.

2. Why is it important to calculate the probability of error in an AWGN channel?

Calculating the probability of error in an AWGN channel is important because it allows us to determine the reliability of the communication system. It helps us understand the likelihood of errors occurring in the transmission, which is crucial for designing and optimizing communication systems.

3. How is the probability of error calculated in an AWGN channel?

The probability of error in an AWGN channel can be calculated using the formula P(error) = Q(sqrt(2E_b/N_0)), where Q is the complementary cumulative distribution function of the standard normal distribution, E_b is the energy per bit of the transmitted signal, and N_0 is the power spectral density of the noise. This formula is based on the assumption that the noise follows a Gaussian distribution and the communication system uses binary phase-shift keying (BPSK) modulation.

4. What factors affect the probability of error in an AWGN channel?

The main factors that affect the probability of error in an AWGN channel include the signal-to-noise ratio (SNR), modulation scheme, and the bit rate. A higher SNR typically results in a lower probability of error, while a more complex modulation scheme or a higher bit rate can increase the probability of error.

5. How can the probability of error be minimized in an AWGN channel?

The probability of error in an AWGN channel can be minimized by using error-correcting codes, which add redundancy to the transmitted signal to enable error detection and correction at the receiver. Other techniques such as adaptive modulation and coding can also be used to adjust the transmission parameters based on the channel conditions, thereby reducing the probability of error.