How to calculate radius of curvature of beam?

In summary, the radius of curvature of a bent beam can be determined by the formula EI/M, where E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, and M is the applied moment. Alternatively, a cubic spline curve can also be used to determine the radius of curvature for a thin and flexible beam.
Aeroslicer821
If I start out with a flat beam of length a and then I fix one side and then bend the other side up to form an arc with height h, is that enough information to determine the radius of curvature of the bent beam? If so, how would I do it?

Thanks!

rcurv.jpg

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=51838&stc=1&d=1350076942

Physics news on Phys.org
If I start out with a flat beam of length a and then I fix one side and then bend the other side up to form an arc with height h, is that enough information to determine the radius of curvature of the bent beam? If so, how would I do it?

Don't you mean fix one end?
And doesn't this belong in an engineering or physics forum?

The radius of curvature at any point on a prismatic beam is equal to EI/M,

Where E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia of the cross section and M is the applied moment at that point. M depends upon the loading regime, E and I are characteristic properties of the beam itself.

Alternatively, if your 'beam' was thin and flexible enough you could use a spline curve. A cubic spline would be usual. These are the curves taken up by old fashioned draftsmen's splines used for drawing such curves.

1. What is the formula for calculating the radius of curvature of a beam?

The formula for calculating the radius of curvature of a beam is R = EI/M, where R is the radius of curvature, E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, and M is the bending moment.

2. How do you determine the bending moment in a beam?

The bending moment in a beam can be determined by taking the product of the load applied to the beam and the distance from the support to the point where the bending moment is being calculated.

3. Can the radius of curvature of a beam be negative?

Yes, the radius of curvature can be negative. This indicates that the beam is experiencing a reverse curvature, or is concave downwards.

4. What is the significance of calculating the radius of curvature of a beam?

Calculating the radius of curvature of a beam is important in determining the amount of stress and deflection the beam will experience under a certain load. This information is crucial in designing safe and efficient structures.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the radius of curvature of a beam?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the radius of curvature of a beam such as the differential equation method and the strain energy method. However, the formula R = EI/M is the most commonly used and accurate method.