1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate rate of tank pressure change

1. Aug 14, 2008 #1
    Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the forum and after doing a basic search I wasn't able to find anything that would help me with a particular problem. I'm taking an online Aerodynamics course with Embry-Riddle and I can't figure out how to solve the following:

If air is being pumped into a 10 ft^3 tank at a rate of 0.01 lbm/sec, and the tank temperature is being held constant at 70 F. How fast (lb/ft^2/sec) is the pressure in the tank rising?

I would love to know how to solve problems like this in the future so, please give me some instructions if anyone is able to figure it out. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 14, 2008 #2
    Since the temperature remains constant I think you can just use ideal gas law. How much is the density changing.... you can find that easily.

then P = Rho R T

dP/dt = dRho/ dt * R * T

dP/dt = dRho/ dt * Constant

This is true if there is no heat loss.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?