1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate relative doppler shift

1. Mar 10, 2005 #1
    I am to measure the rotational velocity of Io relative to Jupiter, and will do so using a spectrograph.

I will measure the frequency change of a specific mineral emmision band in the spectra, and then check how much it has shifted from its original wavelenght with a table. Then I use the formula:

[tex]v = (\Delta \lambda/\lambda) c[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta \lambda[/tex] is the change of frequency and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the rest wavelenght. C is speed of light.

to calculate the velocity for each object.

The problem is how do I calculate the velocities relative to each other? Io rotates around jupiter, using my method i believe i can only calculate its speed moving relative to earth?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you not also measure the same emission band for jupiter itself?

AM

4. Mar 22, 2005 #3
    but the problem is, that I do not know how to integrate the shift of Io relative to jupiter... in order to measure the radial velocity of Io around jupiter, i need to integrate them both into the same forumla in some way :confused:

5. Mar 22, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you measure the Doppler shift from Jupiter itself you would simply subtract/add that from/to the Doppler shifts that you measure from Io.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?