Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to calculate relative doppler shift

1. Mar 10, 2005 #1
    I am to measure the rotational velocity of Io relative to Jupiter, and will do so using a spectrograph.

I will measure the frequency change of a specific mineral emmision band in the spectra, and then check how much it has shifted from its original wavelenght with a table. Then I use the formula:

[tex]v = (\Delta \lambda/\lambda) c[/tex]

where [tex]\Delta \lambda[/tex] is the change of frequency and [tex]\lambda[/tex] is the rest wavelenght. C is speed of light.

to calculate the velocity for each object.

The problem is how do I calculate the velocities relative to each other? Io rotates around jupiter, using my method i believe i can only calculate its speed moving relative to earth?

Last edited: Mar 10, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2005 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you not also measure the same emission band for jupiter itself?

AM

4. Mar 22, 2005 #3
    but the problem is, that I do not know how to integrate the shift of Io relative to jupiter... in order to measure the radial velocity of Io around jupiter, i need to integrate them both into the same forumla in some way :confused:

5. Mar 22, 2005 #4

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you measure the Doppler shift from Jupiter itself you would simply subtract/add that from/to the Doppler shifts that you measure from Io.

AM

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook