How Accurate is the Current Value for 1 AU?

• Thread starter recon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the determination of 1 AU (astronomical unit) through observing a transit of Venus. It was mentioned that there are more accurate ways of determining the AU now compared to past attempts. The AU is derived from the Gaussian gravitational constant k, which is known to a high level of accuracy. There are online resources available to explain the process of determining the AU, and there may be amateur astronomers gathering information to come up with their own estimate.
recon
I have just read a recent Scientific American article about the June 2004 transit of Venus. In the article, past attempts of deriving the AU from Venus's transit was explained. It was also stated that there since have been more accurate ways of determining the AU. I would like to know how the current value for 1 AU is determined and how accurate it is. Could someone please help?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
this post is for people who don't get the Scientific American
and are still curious as to how the AU is told by observing a transit
of venus

this webpage explains it:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/venus/question4c.html
if I can find one that does it better I will post it too

Last edited by a moderator:
recon said:
I would like to know how the current value for 1 AU is determined and how accurate it is. Could someone please help?

recon, all I can offer is a guess. I think that we can tell the distances to space probes with extreme accuracy by timing signals generated on board the spacecraft . By keeping in touch with spacecraft we can survey the solar system in standard SI units---meters, kilometers---because these are defined in terms of light traveltime.

the relative sizes of orbits in AU can be determined from orbit characteristics, essentially by Keplers laws.

I would guess the AU is determined by comparing the distances to spacecraft measured in meters with the same distances calculated in AU.

there are several people here at PF who would know for sure (Nereid, Enigma, Phobos, too many to name them all) and could tell how accurately it is known.

my guess is that distances in the solar system are now known at least to within one part per billion-----because spacecraft navigation is so
consistently successful.

they used to use radar to measure distances, before there was a lot of data from navigating probes.

sorry I don't have an authoritative answer, if I come across anything I will edit it in later

wow,
I looked up AU on google and
the definition is the radius of a circular orbit
with period of one year---for a pointmass
http://neo.jpl.nasa.gov/glossary/au.html

and it appears to be known to at least 9 decimal places (even more)
or as accurately as the gaussian gravitational constant k
is known (better than 9 places)

technically the AU is not actually equal to the average distance
between the Earth and sun

it is a derived quantity from the Gaussian constant k
(a way of presenting the sun's mass)

this NASA site says
1 AU = 149,597,870.691 kilometers

that is, 12 place accuracy, to the nearest meter.
this is fantastic
it means that the mass of the sun, not in kilograms but in the
units of the Gaussian k, is known to 12 place accuracy

I can't sort all this out right now. it is incredible accuracy.

Last edited:
wow again!

look at this, a NASA page called "Astrophysical Constants"

http://ssd.jpl.nasa.gov/astro_constants.html

it gives the Gaussian gravitational constant k to many places accuracy

(the AU is just a derived thing from k)

marcus, thanks for the links! I guess you enjoyed the information as much as I enjoyed them! I liked the link http://www.exploratorium.edu/venus/question4c.html . The Scientific American did not go into that much detail to explain it and was mostly historical, but I managed to figure it out nonetheless. The link confirmed my theory. Is there an online community of amateur astronomers preparing for this event to gather information to come up with their own rough estimate of the AU?

1. What is the AU and why is it used in astronomy?

The AU, or astronomical unit, is a unit of measurement used in astronomy to represent distances within our solar system. It is defined as the average distance between the Earth and the Sun, which is about 93 million miles (149.6 million kilometers). It is used because it provides a convenient and consistent way to measure distances within our solar system.

2. How do you calculate the AU?

To calculate the AU, you can use the formula: AU = Distance/Radius of Earth's orbit. The distance is measured in kilometers and the radius of Earth's orbit is approximately 149.6 million kilometers. So, for example, if you wanted to calculate the AU of Mars, you would use the distance between Mars and the Sun (227.9 million kilometers) and divide it by the radius of Earth's orbit. This would give you an AU value of 1.52.

3. Can the AU be used for distances outside of our solar system?

No, the AU is only used for distances within our solar system. For distances outside of our solar system, astronomers use different units such as light-years or parsecs.

4. How is the AU related to other units of measurement in astronomy?

The AU is equivalent to about 149.6 million kilometers, 93 million miles, or 8 light-minutes. It is also equal to approximately 4 light-seconds or 1.58 light-minutes. These conversions are useful when comparing distances within our solar system to distances outside of it.

5. Is the AU a fixed value?

No, the AU is not a fixed value. It is an average distance between the Earth and the Sun and can vary slightly due to factors such as the Earth's orbit being slightly elliptical and the influence of other planets in our solar system. However, for most calculations, the AU is considered to be a constant value.