1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the energy in a metal object subject to an external magnetic field?

1. Mar 8, 2008 #1
    Hi!

I'd like to know if there is some way of computing or deriving the energy stored in a metallic object subject to a magnetic field from external sources?

Say, an iron cylinder or a sphere in a magnetic field (that is uniform or non-uniform). What is the energy in the cylinder because of this external magnetic field? Is there some formula that I can use or some concept or site that I can look at to understand this? Been stuck with this for a while and my results don't look right.

Appreciate any help in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2
    Btw, I'd appreciate a strong mathematical description (link, theory, idea), etc. Am a grad student, so the math itself isn't the problem. Just the concept, taking into account interface conditions, etc. I assume that's how it's done in PF? Suggestions are always welcome.

4. Mar 8, 2008 #3

pam

The energy depends on the geometry of the object, among other things.
    A soft iron sphere in an originally uniform magnetic field B_0 is probably the easiest case.
    The magnetization in the sphere is uniform, given by M=3B_0/4pi (in Gaussian units).
    This is found in the same way as for a dielectric sphere in a uniform electric field.
    The magnetic energy is given by [tex]U=(1/8\pi)\int B^2d^r[/tex],
    for which I get U=B_0^2R^3/4pi.

5. Mar 9, 2008 #4
    Thanks for that Pam,

But what is the basic relation that I derive this from? I'd like to do it for a cylinder and for some other shapes too. Wouldn't the field depend on the angle that each small area makes with the external field?

And is that integrand B^2*d^r? What's that notation?

6. Mar 9, 2008 #5

pam

I was a bit careless, The integral should be
    [tex]U=(1/8\pi)\int {\vec B}\cdot{\vec H}d^3r[/tex].
    However, since H~0 inside a high mu sphere, the integral is for all space outside the sphere where B=H, so the B^2 is correct here.
    The problem for a soft iron sphere is just the same as for a dielectric sphere in an electric field, which is done in most EM books. Then, the B field for r>R is just that of a dipole.
    The energy is very shape dependent. For a long narrow cylinder aligned with the B_0 field, or for a disk, the calculation is also fairly simple.
    The procedure is:
    Use the standard electrostatic methods, just letting E-->H, D-->B, P-->M, epsilon-->mu
    to find B, H, and M. Then do the integral over B.H.
    For more complicated, shapes, the first step becomes very complicated.

7. Mar 12, 2008 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?