How to calculate the extrinsic curvature of boundary of AdS_2

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the extrinsic curvature of the boundary of AdS2 and provides a step-by-step calculation. The speaker also mentions potential issues that may cause discrepancies with the results in a referenced paper and offers suggestions for further troubleshooting.
craigthone
I have a simple but technical problem:

How to calculate the extrinsic curvature of boundary of AdS_2?
I am not very familiar with this kind of calculation.

The boundary of AdS2metric
$$ds^2=\frac{dt^2+dz^2}{z^2}$$
is given by (t(u),z(u)).
The induced metric on the boundary is
$$ds^2_{bdy}=g_{\alpha\beta}dx^{\alpha}dx^{\beta}=g_{\alpha\beta}\frac{\partial x^{\alpha}}{\partial y^a}\frac{\partial x^{\beta}}{\partial y^b} dy^ady^b==g_{\alpha\beta}e^{\alpha}_ae^{\beta}_bdy^ady^b=h_{ab} dy^ady^b $$
For $Ads_2$ case, $ds^2_{bdy}= h_{uu}dudu$ where $$h_{uu}= \frac{z'^2+t'^2}{z^2}$$

My calculation is the following:

1) compute normal vecotr (nt,nz)

From the orthogonal relation $$e^\alpha_a n_\alpha=o $$ and unit norm condition $$g_{\alpha\beta}n^{\alpha}n^{\beta}=1$$ we have $$n^t=\frac{zz'}{\sqrt{t'^2+z'^2}} , n^z=-\frac{zt'}{\sqrt{t'^2+z'^2}} $$

2) compute the extrinsic curvature $$K=\nabla_\alpha n^{\alpha}$$

$$K=\nabla_\alpha n^{\alpha}=\frac{1}{\sqrt g}[\partial_t(\sqrt g n^t)+\partial_z(\sqrt g n^z)]=\frac{1}{\sqrt g}[\frac{1}{t'}\partial_u(\sqrt g n^t)+\frac{1}{z'}\partial_u(\sqrt g n^z)]$$

I tried some times but I can not reprodue the result in the paper.
My question is whether there are some mistakes in the formulas I used above. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. The calculation you have done so far is correct. However, there are a few things that may be causing the discrepancy between your results and those in the paper.

Firstly, it is important to make sure that the metric you are using for the boundary of AdS2 is the same as the one used in the paper. Sometimes, there can be different conventions or parameterizations that can lead to different results.

Secondly, it is possible that there are typos or errors in the paper that you are referencing. This is not uncommon in scientific literature, so it is always a good idea to double check the calculations and equations.

Lastly, it is important to make sure that all the steps in your calculation are correct. Sometimes, a small error in one step can lead to a big discrepancy in the final result. I would recommend going through your calculation again and checking for any mistakes.

I hope this helps. If you are still having trouble, feel free to provide more details or equations and I can try to assist you further. Good luck with your calculation!

1. What is the boundary of AdS_2?

The boundary of AdS_2, or Anti-de Sitter space in two dimensions, is a two-dimensional conformal field theory. It is a boundary at infinity in the context of the AdS/CFT correspondence, where the boundary theory is dual to the bulk theory in AdS_2.

2. What is extrinsic curvature?

Extrinsic curvature is a measure of how curved a surface is within a higher-dimensional space. It describes the bending or curving of a surface in relation to the space it is embedded in.

3. How is extrinsic curvature calculated?

Extrinsic curvature can be calculated using the metric of the space and the equations of differential geometry. In the case of AdS_2, the extrinsic curvature of the boundary can be calculated by taking the normal vector to the boundary and plugging it into the Gauss-Codazzi equation.

4. What is the significance of calculating the extrinsic curvature of the boundary of AdS_2?

The extrinsic curvature of the boundary of AdS_2 is important in the AdS/CFT correspondence, as it provides information about the dual boundary theory. It can also be used to study the behavior of the bulk theory near the boundary and at infinity.

5. Are there any applications of extrinsic curvature in other fields of science?

Yes, extrinsic curvature has applications in various fields such as physics, mathematics, and biology. In physics, it is used to study the behavior of surfaces in spacetime. In mathematics, it is used to calculate the shape of curved surfaces. In biology, it is used to study the shape and bending of membranes and tissues.