1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the rebound distance of the bungge jump

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    Hie all, curently i working on a mini project which require us to design a bungee jumping game where we had to decide all the data by myself.

here i got a few question wanna ask n hope someone can help me a bit..
    a) how to calcualte the rebound force and distance he will rebound??as i givin the k = 150 N/m, original cord length = 17m, elongation = 23m..n the distance between the platform and the ground = 45m.

b)if there is a obstacle is 5m from the platform, how to avoid it??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. What do you mean by "rebound force" ? Please define this clearly.

2. There is not enough info to determine the rebound height. That is a function of the damping coefficient of the bungee cord, and the answer in the absence of damping will be the original height.

4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
    hie there..sorry for the unconvenient. I wanna find out the maximum rebound height since i wil have a obstacle 5m below the jumping platform and need to avoid it. i know after the cord reach the maximum length, the cord wil retract to it's original length, which mean 17m. But when the cord retract, there is a acceleration.. so there is a force when the cord is retract.

5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's hard to understand the question without a picture. Can you attach one ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?