Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: How to calculate the rebound distance of the bungge jump

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    Hie all, curently i working on a mini project which require us to design a bungee jumping game where we had to decide all the data by myself.

here i got a few question wanna ask n hope someone can help me a bit..
    a) how to calcualte the rebound force and distance he will rebound??as i givin the k = 150 N/m, original cord length = 17m, elongation = 23m..n the distance between the platform and the ground = 45m.

b)if there is a obstacle is 5m from the platform, how to avoid it??

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2005 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

1. What do you mean by "rebound force" ? Please define this clearly.

2. There is not enough info to determine the rebound height. That is a function of the damping coefficient of the bungee cord, and the answer in the absence of damping will be the original height.

4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
    hie there..sorry for the unconvenient. I wanna find out the maximum rebound height since i wil have a obstacle 5m below the jumping platform and need to avoid it. i know after the cord reach the maximum length, the cord wil retract to it's original length, which mean 17m. But when the cord retract, there is a acceleration.. so there is a force when the cord is retract.

5. Oct 5, 2005 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's hard to understand the question without a picture. Can you attach one ?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook