How to calculate the retarded time

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the retarded time in order to calculate the denominator of the Lienard-Wiechert potentials for a charged particle moving along the x-axis. The process involves equating two expressions and solving for tr using a quadratic equation. The correct root can be selected by considering the case where t=0. The value of tr must be negative in order to use the correct time in the calculations.
lailola

Homework Statement

A charged particle is moving along the x-axis and its position is given by: [itex]\vec{r}'(t)=\sqrt{a^2+c^2t^2}\vec{e_x}[/itex]

I have to calculate the Lienard-Wiechert potentials, the electric and magnetic fields and the Poynting vector.

Homework Equations

[itex]\vec{A}=\frac{q\vec{v}}{cR-\vec{R}\vec{v}}[/itex]

[itex]\phi=\frac{qc}{cR-\vec{R}\vec{v}}[/itex]

(both evaluated in t_r)

with [itex]\vec{R}=\vec{r}-\vec{r}'(t_r)[/itex].

R=c(t-tr)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to find the retarded time tr to calculate the denominator of the potentials, and that is my doubt. I do:

[itex]R^2=(x-\sqrt{a^2+c^2t^2})^2+y^2+z^2[/itex]
[itex]R^2=c^2t_r^2+c^2t^2-2c^2tt_r[/itex]

Equating these two expressions I get tr but when I do it I get a horrible thing. It's an exam question so I think there will be another way to do this. Any idea?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
lailola said:
[itex]R^2=(x-\sqrt{a^2+c^2t^2})^2+y^2+z^2[/itex]

Shouldn't you have [itex]t_r[/itex] in there instead of [itex]t[/itex]? Other than that, it looks fine.

gabbagabbahey said:
Shouldn't you have [itex]t_r[/itex] in there instead of [itex]t[/itex]? Other than that, it looks fine.

Yes, it's tr. But solving for tr is still horrible.

lailola said:
Yes, it's tr. But solving for tr is still horrible.

Horrible is a relative concept (relative to one's own perspective). You end up with a quadratic equation for [itex]t_r[/itex], which I'm sure you know how to solve (despite the fact that some of the coefficients are rather unpleasant), and you can select the correct root by looking at the case where [itex]t=0[/itex].

There may be a better way, but I can't think of it off hand.

gabbagabbahey said:
Horrible is a relative concept (relative to one's own perspective). You end up with a quadratic equation for [itex]t_r[/itex], which I'm sure you know how to solve (despite the fact that some of the coefficients are rather unpleasant), and you can select the correct root by looking at the case where [itex]t=0[/itex].

There may be a better way, but I can't think of it off hand.

Ok. When i solve the equation it appears an 'x^2' in the denominator. Should I consider separately the two cases (x=0,x≠0 )?

And, when I set t=0, does tr have to be negative?

Thanks

lailola said:
Ok. When i solve the equation it appears an 'x^2' in the denominator. Should I consider separately the two cases (x=0,x≠0 )?

Depends on how thorough you want to be. I doubt you instructor will care too much about x=0.

And, when I set t=0, does tr have to be negative?

It had better be, otherwise you are using the advanced time instead of the retarded time.

Ok, thank you!

1. How is the retarded time calculated in physics?

The retarded time is calculated by taking the current time and subtracting the distance traveled by the signal, divided by the speed of light. This calculation takes into account the time delay caused by the finite speed of light.

2. What is the difference between retarded time and proper time?

Retarded time is the time that is observed from a distance, taking into account the time delay caused by the speed of light. Proper time, on the other hand, is the time experienced by an object or observer in its own frame of reference.

3. How does the concept of retarded time apply to the theory of relativity?

In the theory of relativity, the concept of retarded time is used to explain how the observed time of an event is affected by the relative motion between the observer and the event. It takes into account the finite speed of light and the time delay caused by it.

4. Can the retarded time be negative?

No, the retarded time cannot be negative. It represents the time delay caused by the distance traveled by the signal, so it is always a positive value.

5. How is the concept of retarded time used in practical applications?

The concept of retarded time is used in practical applications such as satellite communication and GPS technology. It allows for accurate time synchronization between different systems, taking into account the time delay caused by the speed of light.