How to calculate the temperature of an insulated heat emitting body?

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the temperature of a heat-emitting body wrapped in insulation, specifically in relation to the thickness of the insulation layer. There is a debate about whether there is a linear relationship between the thickness of insulation and the temperature difference, or if it is more complicated. The conversation also includes a link to a resource for a quick answer and mentions a previous equation for heat conduction.
tonyjeffs
How would I calculate the temperature of a theoretical heat-emitting
body wrapped in insulation? If the temperature difference across
the insulation layer is D, is there a linear relationship between D
and the thickness of insulation; or is it more complicated than that?

Thanks
tony

Science news on Phys.org
FredGarvin said:
If this is a pipe and you want a quick and dirty answer without getting into heat transfer, take a quick look here:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/heat-loss-insulated-pipes-d_1151.html

Hi Fred
I was wondering about the insulating effect of the atmosphere on the earth, hence the question.

The graphs of pipe insulation are interesting but puzzling. It looks like the temperature difference across the insulation is proportional to the log of heat loss. I don't understand why it's the log rather than a simple relationship.

It's a long time since I've studied physics.
I found this equation somewhere else for heat conduction, which makes sense to me, but doesn't seem to apply to the pipe insulation.
H = kA (T2 - T1)/L (H=joules/sec; A=area T=temp L=distance)

Thanks
Tony

1. How do you calculate the temperature of an insulated heat emitting body?

The temperature of an insulated heat emitting body can be calculated by using the Stefan-Boltzmann Law, which states that the total energy emitted by a blackbody is proportional to the fourth power of its absolute temperature.

2. What is the formula for calculating the temperature of an insulated heat emitting body?

The formula for calculating the temperature of an insulated heat emitting body is T = √(P/Aσ), where T is the temperature, P is the power emitted, A is the surface area of the body, and σ is the Stefan-Boltzmann constant.

3. Can the temperature of an insulated heat emitting body be calculated without knowing its power or surface area?

No, the temperature of an insulated heat emitting body cannot be calculated without knowing its power or surface area. These values are necessary to use the Stefan-Boltzmann Law and calculate the temperature.

4. How does insulation affect the temperature of a heat emitting body?

Insulation helps to maintain the temperature of a heat emitting body by reducing heat loss through conduction, convection, and radiation. This allows the body to reach and maintain a higher temperature than it would without insulation.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the temperature of an insulated heat emitting body?

In addition to insulation, other factors that can affect the temperature of an insulated heat emitting body include the type of material it is made of, the surrounding environment, and any external heat sources or cooling mechanisms.